PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New build won't operate

Building a new system using an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard with AMD Athlon 2500+ CPU and 512 MB RAM which is identified as correct for this configuration. Have installed all in an ANTEC CS600 case along with a new 450 Watt power supply and a new floppy drive. I am using my old 128 MB video card which is working. Connected keyboard, mouse and monitor. No HDD installed or any other cards. Plan to install them one at a time so any problems will be isolated. Problem is, on turning on power the power supply, case and CPU fans all operate and there is a green light on the motherboard which also lights, but monitor stays black. No speaker in case so don't know if there are beeps, but I doubt it. Do I have a DOA motherboard, a DOA CPU or is there something else I should check first?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New build won't operate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New build won't operate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
speaker

In reply to: New build won't operate

A case speaker is very useful in these situations as the beep codes give alot of clues as to what may be wrong as in memory probs or video etc.

Collapse -
How do you know that your video card

"is working"??????????? Is it an AGP, do you have onboard video, which may be conflicting with a plug in card??? AGP cards are sometimes difficult to plugged in fully. Reseat it.

Really frustrating trying to toubleshoot sans video.

Not sure why you doubt that there would be beeps.

Are you certain that the mobo isn't shorted to the mounting plate by an errant hex standoff? If they are only to the mounting holes surrounded by a ring of printed circuitry, they are grounded and that IS proper. None should be touching the bottom of the mobo on any of the artwork. And no, the "insulated" washers that came with the case are NOT to insulate the mobo. They go under the mounting screwhead to prevent the screwhead from damaging the artwork during tighteneing. Each of those mounting holes are connected to each other through the ground plane in one of the inner layers of the mobo, and thus to the mounting plate, legitimately. We are looking for illegitimate grounds.

Best way to eliminate this as a possibility is to pull the mobo out of the case and mount it on a large piece of cardboard. No, don't use electrostatic bags, they are conductive.

To check the CPU, there may be a local shop that will give it quick check for a few bucks, same with memory.

Collapse -
Video card

In reply to: How do you know that your video card

I'll try the cardboard idea. Video card is PCI and I reinstalled it on the machine to be replaced and it works fine. Pretty sure there is no onboard video, but I will double check.

Collapse -
video

In reply to: Video card

If you could try a working 1.5v agp video card.
But if you have no beeps and the speaker is wired correctly the board is not detecting video or mem I think if video card is removed it should be 1long 3short beeps or no mem installed constant short.
450 should be lots of pwr

Collapse -
help

In reply to: How do you know that your video card

Collapse -
ASUS response

Tried all your ideas without posting and finally went to ASUS and asked if they had other ideas. They sent me a todo list and some caveats. One thing they wanted was a power supply capable of putting out minimum amps for the DC power supply. The PS met all their requirements except for the +3.3 voltage rail. They wanted at least 28 amps, but the PS is only rated at 22 amps. Could this really be my problem? PS. the board does not give out post beeps even when I try to power up without the cpu in place.

Collapse -
Modern memory does consume

In reply to: ASUS response

a lot of power and generate a lot of heat.

If you have the maximum amount of memory [probably 4 GB] Asus may be correct. But you only have 512 MB.

With regard to beeps sans CPU. Did you finally get a case speaker??? Didn't have one when this thread started. LOL

Of course, if the CPU is dead, having it removed won't make a difference.

Troubleshooting without video has to be the most frustrating of all situations. You are simply at the point of remove and replace trouble shooting.

If all of the parts are new, and bought from different places, make a case to get them each replaced.

With a PCI video card I doubt if the power supply is overloaded.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.