PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New build shuts off when I exit the bios screen.

by mrfriendly / March 21, 2009 3:11 PM PDT

I need some ideas, I've built a new system with an MSI 945 neo5-f mobo, Pentium d 820 processor, 4G of Kingston pc5300 ram, 2 WD 160G sata hd, Nvidia 8600GT and a new 500wt power supply. When I try to boot up and load the operating system it shuts it down when I try to save the bios settings. All the components listed except the processor and video card are new. The only thing I did in the bios was to change the boot order. Is this mobo defective? Any ideas would be welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New build shuts off when I exit the bios screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New build shuts off when I exit the bios screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 3:31 PM PDT

You say you load the OS. Is this OS a transplant from another machine?

Collapse -
No, it won't let me get that far.
by mrfriendly / March 21, 2009 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

I turned it on went into the bios to check that it had the right boot sequence then after it asks me if I want to save the settings it shuts off as soon as I hit enter.

Collapse -
I should add.
by mrfriendly / March 21, 2009 3:38 PM PDT

That I will be installing a new copy of Vista if I can get it to load.

Collapse -
"it shuts it down when I try to save the bios settings."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 10:19 PM PDT

Check one thing. Is your CPU on the support list for the version BIOS that is in the machine.

Checking the next thing -> You don't need ANY hard disks or CD/DVD drives to save the BIOS settings. Also, reveal what BIOS settings you are changing since one poorer (went to the shop counter) soul was OVERCLOCKING and couldn't understand why his system would reboot on a BIOS save never to show a screen until the BIOS settings were reset with a jumper. Expensive lesson about overclocking.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes it is.
by mrfriendly / March 22, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

It recognized all the hardware which is what threw me initially. I think I found the problem, I was able to view the hardware monitor and the cpu temps were in the high 80's and going up. So it looks like the MB is defective and a replacement is in order.Thanks for the suggestions Rob, you always seem to have a good answer and I appreciate that.

Collapse -
Sounds like the HS Fan is not installed
by VAPCMD / March 22, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it is.

properly ... loose perhaps ? No thermal paste or pad ?

Check it out...that's not a MB defect.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Maybe a new fan/heatsink is in order.
by mrfriendly / March 22, 2009 8:02 AM PDT

I think I'll try that before a new board, thanks.

Collapse -
You may want a better heatsink fan but if
by VAPCMD / March 22, 2009 9:39 AM PDT

you're running stock CPU setting the standard heatsink should be OK ...but only if it's making full contact with the CPU heat spreader. Sometimes the heatsink locks pop loose and without full contact ...the CPU heat rises rapdily. Best to checj that first

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That's a problem.
by mrfriendly / March 22, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

On the stock heatsink/fan a couple of the tabs seem to behaving a problem, they snap in but won't stay so it looks like I'll need a new one anyway, this one has a little mileage on it.

Collapse -
Agree...the stock Intel HSF is a problem. Take a look
by VAPCMD / March 22, 2009 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a problem.

over at http://www.FrostyTech.com....they've go great info about the HS fans especially thermal transfer and noise. From there ...you can go to your favorite source, buy it and install it. Take a look at those made by Xigmatek ....they've got some decent HS Fans at reasonable prices ... but it's good to get the bracket kit to avoid the mounting problem.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
by mrfriendly / March 25, 2009 10:09 AM PDT

You guys and gale are top shelf! It turns out the heatsink/fan was the culprit. Installed a new one and she fired right up. You saved me a great deal of hunting and I appreciate it. Cheers!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?