PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New Build PC, problems right out of the box.

I'm looking for a second opinion from the intelligent folks here...

I recently purchased from Tigerdirect.com parts for a new system.
I have a: Abit KV7 motherboard, AMD Athlon Xp 2900+ 400FSB Barton Core CPU, Ultra 512 MB DDRam, a case with power supply.

Let me note that I have built many (8) systems before. I put this one all together carefully and it powered up fine with my test harddrive. I unplugged the power, changed out the test harddrive for a good one, plugged it back it, and tried to turn on the power -- pfft. You can hear a pfft sound but no power. I tried using the test harddrive again and still no power. Both harddrives are good.

According to the motherboard website, I either have a bad power supply, CPU, or motherboard. I called Tigerdirect to get a replacement but after 3 tries they have still not sent me the postage labels they have promised. (This upsets me as I have reccomended no fewer than 5 people buy computers from them in the past 6 months. They have lost a very good customer -- I'll buy newegg from now on.) The case was very flimsy and I'm inclined to believe it is a bad power supply. Unfortunately none of my 2 pc's use the same type connector and I have been unable to test with the parts on hand.

My main question is this -- does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try besides buying new parts (starting with power supply and a new case -- the one I have for this system is truly horrible, I've already hand my hand sliced on a sharp edge that should not have been there.) and playing trial and error?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Build PC, problems right out of the box.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Build PC, problems right out of the box.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Few questions

In reply to: New Build PC, problems right out of the box.

Dear toodvs4u,

When you try to power it up now, does the whole computer not turn on? Or JUST the hard-drives?

You said there's a "pfft" noise, where is that comming from? Is the computer itself powering up, and just the hard-drive emitting a noise, then not powering up?

The most likely choice is power supply. You'd have to try it out with another - and if that means buying a new one, I'm sorry Sad

Let us know how it works out,
-AInTeL

Collapse -
More Information

In reply to: Few questions

Thanks for replying, in answer to your question, the noise seems to come from the power supply. Nothing else powers on or moves, not the cpu fan, not the led lights at the front of the case, no noise from the harddrive. It does this every time...

<sigh> I agree that the power supply is the first thing to try. This case/power supply combo was about the crappiest I have ever seen in my 5 years of doing this. The metal on the back is like pie-tin quality. I have never seen anything like it. It has sharp little metal points in places where it should be smooth -- as I said it made me bleed once already. I'll buy another case before I play with that one again.

I've had dead on arrival power supplies before (one even went up in smoke on the first power up!) but never one that still makes noises. Weird...

It looks like I'm shopping for a new case and power supply. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Collapse -
What aspect of the connectors is not

applicable to the other mobo,s power supplies?

Your new mobo probably uses the 4 pin 12 volt connector to power the CPU. The old ones may not have used that connector. [they would power the CPU from the 3.3 volts]. If that were the case, they should run from the 20 pin power connector sans the 4 pin connector. If the new supply is a 24 pin main connector you would then need a 24 to 20 pin adapter.

Now for troubleshooting. Not unuisual for the supply that comes with the case to be crappy.

I wish you could explain in more detail what things do and don't happen when you turn it on.

To reduce the load the supply disconnect power and signal to all drives, get down to only mobo, memory, CPU/HSF, video, monitor and keyboard. Nothing else. can you get into the BIOS???

Collapse -
Power conenctors

In reply to: What aspect of the connectors is not

Nothing happens except the power supply makes a little "pfft" noise. I could get into the bios the first time but not after. I made no major changes in the bios -- and later even reset it per the mobo's manual. It's acting like it is a hardware problem. I'm hoping power supply because that is the least expensive part. Tigerdirect is obviously not interested in helping me with this, so I'd like to salvage something out of this mess....

The new mobo uses both the 20pin and the 4 pin connectors. My old power supplies have only the 20pin connectors. If I understand correctly, you are telling me that I could try the new power supply on an older system and then I would know if the power supply works. That's brilliant! I never even considered trying that. I'll try that right now. Thanks!

Collapse -
THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!

In reply to: Power conenctors

Power supply is defintely bad. I connected to a working pc. When I turned on the switch the green light at the front flashed once and then nothing, Pc did not power on. I recconected the old power supply and pc powered right up. So now I know one part is bad for sure...

Thank you so much!
Have a mental margaurita on me, 'k!

Collapse -
Final comment, Tigerdirect redems themselves

I called Tigerdirect for the 4th and final time, spoke to a supervisor -- Upshot is they are replacing my crappy case/power supply with a better one. My faith in them is restored, providing all goes well with new case.

Thanks again for all the help. I needed the new ideas...

Collapse -
reply - good!

In reply to: Final comment, Tigerdirect redems themselves

Dear toodvs4u,

Congradulations on the success!
Chances were it was the power supply, and it was...

Good idea to try it on the old computer, so there we go, problem solved Happy

Good luck with TigerDirect in the future,
-AInTeL

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.