Computer Help forum

Question

New build overheating and memory slots not working

by Seankennedy00 / April 22, 2014 4:00 AM PDT

Hi all
I have a problem with a computer I am building. I used to build computers for me and my friends about 15 years ago and thought I would give it ago again but I have run in to some problems and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I am trying to put together (List Follows)

Asus Z87-Pro motherboard
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance Pro Memory
Intel i7 4770k Processer
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 graphics card
Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W PSU

I first noticed a problem when installing the memory as in the manual it states to insert the memory in slots A2 and B2 I did this and the board would not boot up, the read out on the bottom of the board was reading 55. I read up on this and it is a memory problem. I took the memory out several times and put it back in the same slot but still it read 55. So after a lot of swapping of the memory into different slots I found out that they will only work in slots B1 and B2. If I put one in slot A1 and switch it on, it tries to boot then shuts down constantly. I have managed to update the bios to see if that would help but it has not.
The second problem I have is the CPU fan it starts fast and then goes very slow in the bios I set it to be at 100% all the time but it seems to run at around 20% and will not go any faster. The CPU temp reads between 75-92c. I have tried two different fans, the stock fan that came with the CPU and a Corsair H100i both do the same thing and give the same reading.
Reading about this in the internet I found the best way of trying to tell what was happening was to setup the computer out of the case so that's what I did and still I had the same two problems. So I thought it was a motherboard problem, contacted Asus and they told me to return the board to Ebuyer where I ordered the board from which I did.
I hear now that they have tested the board and they say there I nothing wrong with it and they are sending it back to me.
Could anyone on here help me out diagnosing what is wrong with this computer I am building? Is it the memory, CPU, PSU, something in the bios I haven't switched on/off or is in fact the motherboard itself?
Thanks in advance for any help you could put my way.

Thanks again Sean Kennedy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New build overheating and memory slots not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New build overheating and memory slots not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One of the most common build issues I encounter are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2014 4:06 AM PDT

1. The new builder uses no or the pre-applied heat sink compound. A few even tell me that it's optional since the metal is touching!

2. Extra mounting studs. Lost count how many times.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
cpu temp
by James Denison / April 22, 2014 11:12 AM PDT
"the CPU fan it starts fast and then goes very slow in the bios I set it to be at 100% all the time but it seems to run at around 20% and will not go any faster. The CPU temp reads between 75-92c."

Maybe the fan control is correct and the program giving the temp reading is incorrect? If you really want an top speed all the time, then hook the CPU fan direct to a power supply plug instead of the motherboard FAN header.

Pay attn to Bob's mention of CPU "grease".

In a pinch for awhile you can use baby diaper creme that is 40% zinc, but order some regular thermal compound.

Set all the memory settings in the BIOS to Default, or Safe, not Optimal.
Collapse -
Thanks all for getting back to me
by Seankennedy00 / April 23, 2014 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu temp

I have set the computer up on a desk out of the case so there studs around
the temp reading in the bios is showing that the temp is 75-95c but the fan is going slow at that temp you would think the fan would be going nuts?
The thermal Compound I am using is Artic Silver 5 and only a small amount using the grain of rice method
the bios is set at default but whatever setting there looks to be no difference

and can anyone tell me why when the memory is in the slot it tells me to put it in, in the manual I get error code 55 or constant switching on and off.

Thanks in advance
Sean Kennedy

Collapse -
The grain of rice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2014 2:33 AM PDT

Might be OK, I'm sure I use a little more than that but as to the RAM, it's either incompatible or the motherboard is bad.
Bob

Collapse -
not just you
by James Denison / April 23, 2014 12:10 PM PDT
http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=39866

http://www.amazon.com/review/R18KZ2S9HEOQXG/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00CRJSXR4

"Things I found bad:

I have a mid-tower and I wanted to use the bottom PCI-e slot well for a gpu at least its in a terrible position, the GPU was touching the bottom of the case bending upwards a little bit, also the GPU is in the way of the re-set and straight to BIOS button's on the board so if you need to use them you would have to un-install the GPU to get to them or use a pencil. I know this is more of a Haswell thing but I had to turn off the TEMP watch for the CPU because it kept giving my a false warning. That seemed to be straightened out with a BIOS update though..........."

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66283p=579280

" And for some reason it's reading my 4770K's core temps wrong, showing about half the values seen in CoreTemp or RealTemp. I'm sure it'll eventually be updated, but it may take a long time with the huge flood of new boards just released. Plus, the new CPU_FAN header switch might take some extra work to handle."

This post claims pinouts on the fan control are wrong.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=577287&sid=0c45e2be495db4bd7a1edab79013adbf#p577287
Collapse -
Answer
Do you have links to the exact products you've listed above?
by VAPCMD / April 23, 2014 10:33 AM PDT

I checked for the PSU and was disappointed to see that the 700W had a split 12V rail with 30A on one rail and 35A on the other. That could be a problem for your GPU too.

Did you set the BIOS for that RAM speed and voltage ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?