Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Build- Automatic Start Up After Shut Down

Hi, Just built my first comp, and everything actually went very smoothly until I shut it down. That's when I realized that within a couple of seconds of being safely shut off, the computer would just start itself up again. It would do this even from shutting down through BIOS, shutting down by using the actual Power button, and finally, after installing Windows, it would still restart even after using the "Start" "Shutdown" option.

I've found several boards on this, but most seem Windows related. Nevertheless, I tried all of the fixes (Unchecking auto-restart in the "advanced settings" of the system. Checking all BIOS settings for auto-on, and checking for "allow power-on by [insert any peripheral]", I also checked for "hidden" ones in the device manager, and adjusting the Front Panel wire connections on my Mobo. And none of these have fixed the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because with how smoothly this went, it'd be a shame for something like this to ruin it!

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Ver. 2.0 Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2
2 X 1gb DDRII Mem
ATI ? PCIE video card
500 watt PSU

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Build- Automatic Start Up After Shut Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Build- Automatic Start Up After Shut Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start up on shut down

In reply to: New Build- Automatic Start Up After Shut Down

How do you have your boot sequence set up?

Collapse -
Boot Up Sequence

In reply to: Start up on shut down

Hi there, I have the HD booting up first, and then the DVD drive. I also disabled the 3.5 from booting as I don't have one.

Collapse -
Anyone?

In reply to: Boot Up Sequence

Does anyone have any ideas of how to stop this, or is it just a faulty Mobo?

Collapse -
Just a thought...

In reply to: Anyone?

Consider any software you have installed for possible conflicts. Some people had similar issues with some early versions of the new AVG 8.0. Do not know if this will help but I would start uninstalling one program at a time looking for improvement... that is if you have anything installed.

This is just an idea since you are not getting suggestions from others.

Glenn

Collapse -
Thanks for help

In reply to: Just a thought...

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunetly, it was happening even from shutting down from the BIOS screen on it's first boot. I did finally find someone on another forum with my exact same motherboard and exact same problem though! Following through and trying everything, he finally got the answer through the motherboard's tech support (which sounded like pulling teeth!) and it turns out that some of their boards have a bad transistor on them causing this strange problem. He RMA'd the board, got a new one, and the problem was solved. So bad news for me, I guess. But now I can hopefuly get this fixed. Thanks again for your time!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.