PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New AMD Athlon XP 3200+

I recently purchased a new AMD 3200 off of Ebay. It only lasted 3 hours. Upon closer examination of the label it appears to have two labels and another set of numbers ( not colored just stamped impressions) Is this a fraud? And who can I contact about this if it is? Thanks RLH

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+

In reply to: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+

If you get the full retail version with the heatsink and fan, then you exercise the warranty. The other units are not warranted for the simple reason the installer/builder can make a mistake in many ways.

Sorry to read about your loss.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+

I know that it has no warranty thru AMD. I was more concerned that it may be a Fraud chip. Rob

Collapse -

If you feel it was a remarked chip, then you have to ask the supplier to accept the return. So far your story is not unlike many others that lose a chip.

Bob

Collapse -

You mean to say everyone who loses a chip reports it as a fraud chip? Thats ok BOB I know your heart is in the right place. What do you think of the pics? #' 4 and 5. Please note L12-1 and L12-4 closely.

http://groups.msn.com/ComputingSolutionsCenter/computersnake.msnw

I never did anything as to overcl this or any other imply.

Collapse -

If someone supplies you a modified CPU, then you have to toss it back. This was a BIG PROBLEM for Intel years ago with people selling P2-333's that were actually a 300 or other model. Intel ended up only exchanging units that were not modified and some consumers learned about this the hard way. Intel made it harder for such modifications.

Have you contacted the seller and posted your complaint with ebay/other?

Bob

Collapse -

RLH,

The mentioned lables are located where?

"Lasting 3 hours" what is the system not doing?

Bill

Collapse -

The area where it says AMD Athlon AXDA 3200KV4E 9452253268343 AQXDA0401SPMW (trade marks) 1999AMD. There is another set of numbers (not colored) They appear to be stamped recessed and about 1/64" from the seal edge it appears to be the edge of another label. Thanks RLH

Collapse -
Re: New AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (rebadged 2500+ Barton?)

Take a look at this link with your same concerns:
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=21632

Has pictures and everything you can compare your chip to. Worse case scenario is you got a rebadged chip (why I NEVER buy any chips or ram from Ebay anymore); contact the seller and try to work something out. If you're SURE you got a rebadged chip, hopefully you used a credit card and file a complaint. Take screenshots of the sale for the CC company. I've been burned on a coupla sales from Ebay, and when negotiations fell through after good faith negotiations (and sufficient proof of sale like screenshots and emails), I always was debited the $$ back. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.