Laptops forum

General discussion

New aluminium macbook or Old white macbook.

by marijui / April 14, 2009 2:49 PM PDT

hello. Im switching to Mac laptops and I was wondering what would be best for college, coz im an incoming college freshman. Im deciding whether to get the new one or the old macbook. what's better for me?
Oh! And if you would not recommend Apple, what laptop would you recommend?
Thanks.:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New aluminium macbook or Old white macbook.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New aluminium macbook or Old white macbook.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Before thinking on buying a Mac...
by FrankQC / April 14, 2009 2:56 PM PDT

...You should go to your college's IT department and ask them for your course requirements. Some courses will require you to have Windows because of program compatibility and such.
Know what I mean?

p.s. I think both look good =)

Collapse -
thank you
by marijui / April 14, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

i think they both support mac and pc. it didn't state any preffered OS. but anyways, what do you think has more bang for the buck. the $999 macbook or the $1299?

Collapse -
What are you going into and what are you going to use it for
by FrankQC / April 15, 2009 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Because there's a huge difference. If you're going to edit a lot of files (Graphic files i.e. videos, or audio files), get the $1,300 one. If all you're going to do is write down some notes, then I would get the $999 macbook and keep the remaining $300 to help pay the school's tuition.

Collapse -
notes
by marijui / April 15, 2009 1:09 AM PDT

Well, I do need to write down many many notes. Especially since my course is social sciences. But i'm also using adobe photoshop for my pictures. I don't do video editing and music editing that much, but only when needed. I also need a laptop to carry all my songs. hmm. thats about it i think.

Collapse -
Then...
by FrankQC / April 15, 2009 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: notes

Get the one with the most storage and the faster processor. In this case it's the most expensive one. You don't want to edit photos and have your computer go slow on you Silly

So then, my suggestion, the faster one. Plastic or aluminum... As long as it works and the aluminum doesn't melt (haha), you're good.

Collapse -
thanks!
by marijui / April 15, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Then...

Thanks a lot for your help. Now i can know what factors to consider. Thanks alot!

Collapse -
You should also consider..
by FrankQC / April 15, 2009 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

Battery life
Thinness
Portability
Screen size

Collapse -
New Aluminum
by Renegade Knight / April 15, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: notes

The Video Power in the new MacBook was ramped up quite a bit. Photoshop will use that. Your songs just take hard drive space (so do photo's for that matter).

I think the newer will work better. Besides the white is ugly. Wink

Collapse -
Haha
by FrankQC / April 15, 2009 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: New Aluminum

"Besides the white is ugly.

One hopes to not take this the wrong way haha

White or aluminum, both look nice still. Beats most laptops out there.

Collapse -
basic programs installed in a macbook
by marijui / April 19, 2009 12:22 AM PDT

hello, it's me again. I'm wondering, what are the basic programs installed in a macbook. 'cause you see, i was supposed to have iWork preinstalled but my relative from the US received my order late(and thus can't order online, because of the 1 to 3 working days of shipping) so it got me worried. a little help please? thanks.

Collapse -
Here's a link
by FrankQC / April 19, 2009 12:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
it's me again!
by marijui / April 21, 2009 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a link

hey, i just got a new macbook. and i'm still setting it up! i can't get past the voiceover practice screen! help? please? thankyou

Collapse -
lol
by FrankQC / April 21, 2009 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: it's me again!

You best ask that in the Mac section. I don't use Macs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.