Speakeasy forum

General discussion

New advice re: dealing with toddler temper tantrums

by Angeline Booher / March 4, 2004 11:43 PM PST
S A N T A M O N I C A, Calif., March 5 ? It looks weird, and it sounds crazy, but a renowned pediatrician says that the best way for parents to put an end to the terrible twos is to bring themselves down to their children's level, and talk and act like toddlers themselves.

"You say, 'no, no, no," said pediatrician Dr. Harvey Karp, who helps parents communicate with their toddlers by essentially teaching them to talk like a caveman. Karp calls his own special language "toddler-ese

"It's not the normal way we talk to kids," Karp said. "But I'm telling you, that's the normal way kids talk to us."

Karp, the author of the book and video, The Happiest Toddler on the Block, has spent 25 years treating thousands of children. Having witnessed countless tantrums, he claims the secret to taming toddlers isn't what you say, but how you say it.

"There are three steps in toddler-ese," Karp said. "The first is short little phrases. The second is that it's very, very repetitive. And the third is that you get close to the level of energy that the child is displaying."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/AmericanFamily/040305Terrible_toddlers-1.html

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New advice re: dealing with toddler temper tantrums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New advice re: dealing with toddler temper tantrums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whoa, 'act like toddlers themselves'!
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2004 12:00 AM PST

Sorry, my daughter used to bang her head on the floor. I can't picture myself doing that. I used to pick her up and move her to the carpet. One time she did it in the bathroom which had a very rough, hard, ceramic floor. One bang, a startled look, and she moved to the rug to resume banging!

Collapse -
Re:Whoa, 'act like toddlers themselves'!
by Angeline Booher / March 5, 2004 3:41 AM PST

As your daughter did not injure herself , forgive me for smiling.

My Dad admitted that he was one of those who "held his breath "til he turned blue". which worked.

But one day his aunt was keeping him, and did not give into whatever he wanted. So, he started holding his breath. He said he was the most surprised kid in the world when, as he went to the floor, saw her leave the room and shut the door. It cured him. Happy

Me- I was a whiner. Happy

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I pouted.
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2004 4:43 AM PST

although no one ever told me what I did at two. Wink

Collapse -
Re:New advice re: dealing with toddler temper tantrums
by Rolway / March 5, 2004 5:04 AM PST

When my kids went into those tamtrums, my wife used to start singing "they are coming to take me away, away, Ho, He, Ho, Ha" while banging on a pan. Sometimes it worked and sometimes the kids screamed louder. I had to put plan B in action then.

George

Collapse -
Which was?
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2004 5:07 AM PST

An advance to the rear?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.