Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Never seen this before!

by rje49 / September 3, 2011 11:45 AM PDT

Just got a new Dell XPS 8300 (Windows 7 H.P.) up and running last week. Everything going good, set up things the way I want, uninstalled unwanted junk, disabled most auto start-ups, etc. I know what I'm doing here. However, when I click to "Shut Down", it keeps restarting! I've checked all the Power Options and see nothing wrong. Any ideas?

rje49 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Never seen this before!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Never seen this before!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rje49

Collapse -
OK, I figured it out
by rje49 / September 7, 2011 10:10 AM PDT

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial; font-size: 9pt; mso-ansi-language: en;" lang="EN">My XPS-8300 came with a USB
3.0 PCI express card installed. Seeing as I don't have any 3.0 devices yet, but
I need more USB 2.0 ports, I removed the 3.0 card and replaced it with a 5-port
USB 2.0 card - something I had done with my old XPS-400. However, I neglected
to plug a power cable into the PCI card, although the USB ports worked OK.
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial; font-size: 9pt; mso-ansi-language: en;" lang="EN">Seeing as there isn't an available power
cable that can reach down to the PCI card anyway, I went back to the USB 3.0 card, and plugged a USB 2.0 powered hub into it to take care of my needs. So the cause of the shut-down/restart problem waseither removing the originally installed 3.0 card or not having power to the 2.0 card. I don't know for sure. I do know that I really didn't want to call Dell and
have to go through the dozens of things I already tried.
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Collapse -
Huh?
by rje49 / September 7, 2011 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, I figured it out
What's with all that "font" gibberish, littering the paragraph?
Collapse -
It's a forum feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

The text editor does that when we paste content. Fix? Click the icon to the right of the Smiley.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Restart
by Bob__B / September 3, 2011 11:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nope
by rje49 / September 4, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Restart

"Unchecking "Automatically restart after system failure" sees like a good idea anyway, but it didn't prevent my restarts. The event viewer, never an easy thing to decipher, shows "The operating system shutting down at system time 15:01:45", then the very next record is "....started at system time 15:02:03".
I usually spend much more time trying to figure these things out by myself, but I'm obviously baffled. I'm thinking it's possible that some program I installed is responsible. I have an older laptop that I upgraded to Windows 7 (with no such shut-down problem), so I'll do some comparing. It may also have something to do with an "incompatible" 32-bit program. I just don't know at this point.
By the way, it will go into hibernation ok.

Collapse -
Answer
Not even formatting and re-installing
by rje49 / September 5, 2011 2:07 AM PDT

This bugged me so much that I've re-installed Windows 7. So far, I've just installed basic drivers. As part of my plan, after each step, instead of "restarting", I'll click "Shut Down".... it STILL restarts by itself! I wonder if talking to Dell would be worth it. Right now, the only way to shut it down completely is to press and hold the start/stop button.
Oh well, at least I don't have to uninstall all those "free extras"...

Collapse -
Opinion
by Bob__B / September 5, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

Based on the Dell 8000 I'm looking at.
This machine came with two optical restore disc........1 windows.....2 drivers.
I would use the windows disc first and the the driver disc second.
If the machine did not shutdown.......call Dell and ask.....How come?
Do not call Dell and tell them that you have not used the driver disc.
That just gives them an excuse to blow you off.
Get your ducks in a row.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.