Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Never ending loop Vista won't start up all the way

I don't have a lot of info of what was done I only know what 'm dealing with now. I start vista it's start's out fine then goes into configuring updates before windows load's. It stage 3 of 3 and although it seems like it's trying to configure the update it stay's at 0% and then restarts and then the loop begin's.

When I start in safe mode it stop's at windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys and then goes into the loop.

I've tried to do a restore but no restrore point's are found. I need to get some item's off of this computer so wiping it isn't an option.Please help. I'm not real literate with dos but if you walk me through it I follow directions well. Thank you

alexalevan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Never ending loop Vista won't start up all the way
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Never ending loop Vista won't start up all the way
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by alexalevan

Collapse -
The safe mode boot failure is a bad thing.

In reply to: Never ending loop Vista won't start up all the way

That tells us the OS has taken some heavy damage and no, while I do have some ideas on how to deal with such the problem is often time consuming and expensive.

For example if the owner does not have or use a full retail version of Windows but one the machine came with, it costs about 100 bucks to get a full version so we can try the install over the top of this Windows to correct the error.

-> WAIT ONE SECOND AS I ADDRESS " I need to get some item's off of this computer so wiping it isn't an option."

Over a decade ago I helped kick up this discussion at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm and it's only gotten easier to do that. Your files can be copied out with that old or a newer version of a Live CD/DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
RESOLVED

In reply to: The safe mode boot failure is a bad thing.

I got it fixed. I finally got a system restore to work. Thank you for your help Happy

Collapse -
Hi

In reply to: RESOLVED

Do you know how this was eventually fixed? In having the same problem and don't want to lose my files

Collapse -
The Fix Above: Try Running System Restore

In reply to: Hi

Try accessing Safe Mode by pressing F8 immediately after starting the computer, once per second, till a selection screen loads. Once there, use the up/down arrows to select Safe Mode. Log into Safe Mode, then click on the Start button, then select All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. At the first System Restore page, select the option to "Restore this computer to an earlier time" and at the next "Calendar" page, choose a date before the time when things when bad. After that follow the prompts to restart the computer and go back to a time when things were good.

If you can't reach Safe Mode, but are able to access the selection screen by using the F8 key method, use the same up/down arrows to select "Last Known Good Configuration", press the "Enter" key, then follow the prompts to restart the computer. This procedure should also run the basic System Restore procedure and take the computer back to the last time the computer worked correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
We never have to lose our files.

In reply to: Hi

There are now dozens of ways to copy out our files when Windows fails to boot. I'll share something I sent out over a decade ago and it's only gotten easier since then.

But don't repair a system that has files you can't lose. Unless you can accept the loss.

Read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm and fast forward to today where there are newer bootable live CD/USB and more to let is access and copy our files out.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.