General discussion

Networking with broadband

Can somebody give me some advice. I have two desktops, one upstairs and the other downstairs. Both systems have norton internet security packages. I am running windows xp on both. I have the motorola surfboard sb5100 modem and it runs on a cable network (telewest). I would like to connect the two pc's by a cable so that they can both access the internet and talk to each other. Can somebody tell me what equipment i would need and how to fix them up in laymans terms.Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Networking with broadband
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Networking with broadband
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's documented.

Linksys.com, dlink.com have guides on how to use their routers to make this happen. It's well documented and millions have done this with such direction.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:

I can't speak for dlink, but linksys Tech Support has gone the extra mile for me troubleshooting issues not related to their product but rather to my wireless card and/or software issues.

- Collapse -
Re: Networking with Broadband

Hi,

If both the desktops have network card then u can simply use a cat 5 cable- a crossover cable, because u are connecting similar devices. You can use a hub or a switch to connect the two also, in that case you will use a straight cable- the difference is just the way the wires are made. But since u just want to conect two machines then u dont need to buy a hub. Then you can setup Internet connection sharing on the desktop with the Internet access and use the other desktop will use this to access Internet. It preety straight forward. If you want to find out how to use INternet connection sharing then just look up in windows help, it has instructions.

- Collapse -
two pc in one internet

how about if i have 2 pc and i want to connect it in internet with one internet.. what device should i use.

note: connection even one of the computer is OFF...

thanks

- Collapse -
Sorted.

I sorted mine this way. I put a network card in my main pc. Seeing as i already had a modem i had to purchase a router. I then connected my main pc to my router with an ethernet cable then connected my router to my modem with another ethernet cable. You need to do this to program the router. I then bought a pc lan adapter (sometimes known as a dongle) for the second pc. The modem and router have to be turned on then you can use either or both pc's to connect to the internet. If you go this way, try to get hold of 802.11g gear as this is 54mps as opposed to the 11mps you get from 802.11b equipment. The pc's don't talk to each other this way but it works fine an is quite easy to configure everything if you follow the guides. Hey, even i managed to do it.

- Collapse -
SORTED

Thanks for your help folks. I managed to sort it. It wasn't quite as daunting as i thought it'd be.

CNET Forums

Forum Info