HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Networking With a Wireless Broadband Card

by rachel0609 / March 19, 2008 10:20 PM PDT

I am very new to the whole wireless computer thing. I just recently purchased a laptop and a wireless broadband card. I am unable to get any other form of high speed where I live.

My question is can I wirelessly attach a printer to my laptop. Assuming I buy a wireless capable printer. What else do I need to buy to do this?

I have an Inspiron 1720

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking With a Wireless Broadband Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking With a Wireless Broadband Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The wireless printer will use WIFI and not your new card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 10:55 PM PDT

But that's all good news. The only issue can be that your wifi connection may test your resolve to get it going. Be sure to read the install notes and don't use the USB cable to the printer unless it tells you to.

Why? A few gave up on the wifi connection, installed it to use the USB cable and even with calls to support desks couldn't get the wifi working. Here I had to do some extreme removals of the drivers to let me start over on the connection from wifi in the laptop to the printer.

In closing, since you don't have a router you will be setting up the wifi in ADHOC mode.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by rachel0609 / March 19, 2008 11:02 PM PDT

Thanks for the info.

So your saying I have everything I need just don't install with USB cable unless absolutely necessary

Collapse -
What I'm writing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Is to follow the directions.

I also know you'll be using an ADHOC wifi connection so I thought I'd note that to give you a heads up to watch for that instruction.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.