General discussion

networking win7 starter an existing network with XP on all

i just bought a dell latitude D40 which has win 7 starter installed for the OS. i have 3 other pc's all networked (home network) together and all have win xp prof. i would like to network the the dell (win 7 starter) to the other 3 computers but after doing some research i find that one of the pc's on the network must have win 7 for an OS.just to be sure i'm understanding correctly, is this true ? I'm probably going to have to reformat and reinstall windows on one of the pc's on the network pretty soon. when i reinstall windows, could i install win 7 starter or would i need to install the full blown version(so that i can network the laptop to the other 3 already on the home network

roger

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: networking win7 starter an existing network with XP on all
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: networking win7 starter an existing network with XP on all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a strange one

I've never heard of that restriction. Do you have a link to that article?

But in any case, I am not sure of the problem here. Even if it was right that one should be Win 7, since you have Win 7, doesn't that solve the issue?

As to your other question, again I am unsure of the issue. You have a Dell with Win 7. That is an OEM machine, and the Win 7 installed on that cannot be transferred.

I do see that Windows 7 Starter Edition cannot be connected to a Domain. But that is not what you want to do, so I see no problems with what you want to do.

Mark

- Collapse -
win starter

hey mark thanks for the comeback - i appolg for the long delay and make no excuses. there is no article involved. my information come from win 7 starter itself. when i go to: control panel > all control panel items > homegroup, it says in about the 3rd section (under "introducing home group), "you can't create your own homegroup with this this edition [meaning win 7 starter], but you can join one created by someone on your network who is running win 7 home premium, ultimate, professional, or enterprise."

from this i infer that if i had win 7 home premium, i could create a homegroup and include the other 3 computers ( that are networked together) . from this statement i also gather that if one of the computers on my existing network had win7 home premium, then i could join my existing network with the win 7 starter .

all i want to do is to network my win 7 starter pc to the existing network that has 3 pc all running XP prof., so that i can share files, printer etc.

any help appreciated
roger

- Collapse -
I see what you mean

However, there may be a workaround, even with using Windows 7 Starter Edition.

First of all, have a read of this; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows about setting up a network with different Windows OSes, (similar to your situation). It seems that;

"HomeGroup is a networking feature added in Windows 7 - it does require Windows 7 Home Premium or higher to create, but it is also important to note that only Windows 7 computers can join", and "This is a feature that doesn't apply to you, though you can still network the computers without using HomeGroup's enhanced functionality."

{Thanks to John Wilkinson, Mod, for that information}.

It seems that HOMEGROUP is not available to you, but WORKGROUP still is. So, in that article, watch the video, and then scroll down to where it begins;
"If your network contains computers running different versions of Windows, put all computers in the same workgroup".

If you need to, read the link below which explains about Ad hoc Wi-Fi Networks, and you will see that the AdHoc networking wizard is still available in your edition of Windows 7. Just search, (in the Start menu), for adhoc, and use the link to the wizard that Search finds.
http://www.dkszone.net/how-to-set-up-ad-hoc-wi-fi-network-in

Finally, and thanks to Bob Proffitt for reminding me, one of the commonest failures in setting up a workgroup network is that all computers on the network must have identical user accounts. That is, each computer needs an Admin capable account which has exactly the same user name, and exactly the same password. No deviation.

I hope that helps you.

Mark

- Collapse -
And another finally..

In addition, Bob also reminded me that all computers must be in the same Workgroup, eg the same workgroup name.

Mark

CNET Forums