HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Networking Win 98 via DSL through Linksys Router

by rwtatti / February 15, 2007 7:45 AM PST

I just set up a Linksys EtherFast

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking Win 98 via DSL through Linksys Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking Win 98 via DSL through Linksys Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Does a LiveCD such as KNOPPIX work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 9:41 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Does a LiveCD such as KNOPPIX work?
by rwtatti / February 16, 2007 12:07 AM PST

No. Apprently on either computer. I've told the client the easiest and most cost effective move would be to just get two more DSL lines. A friend suggested ghosting the machines to a DVD and reinstalling the OS. Just seems like too much trouble and time. Like I said, they only need these machines for a few more months. Thank you very much for the reply.
Ray

Collapse -
Don't get 2 DSL lines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 12:16 AM PST

If Knoppix doesn't work then something is sorely amiss. I can't see it from here but Windows 98 installs for me in less than 30 minutes on most machines. The big issue is that most have forgotten how to install Windows 98. They forget motherboard and more drivers.

-> Given the problems of spyware via WINSOCK and DNS hijacks I would write to look into that but the KNOPPIX failure makes me think there is a deeper issue. Next time try DSL (linux) since it's smaller and has a different take on hardware. Also I carry my PCLINUXOS CD for such since between the 3 I usually can get online if the hardware is good.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't get two DSL lines
by rwtatti / February 16, 2007 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Don't get 2 DSL lines.

I agree. Things are definitely amiss. Unfortunately Linux is not realy an option. These are simply old machines running some horrible proprietary software that won't work on anything else. They don't have the install discs as well. It's a bad situation. The new dsl lines are an easy workaround for them. They can add them for 20 bucks a month each and it is only for a few months. Better than me pulling my hair out for a day or two.
I'm still confused how both computers can be so buggy.
Thanks again; it's nice to know I'm not totally insane.
Ray

Collapse -
Sounds like this will fix itself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 12:49 AM PST

"They don't have the install discs as well"

I find this fixes itself with the passage of time. At some point they have to address the real issue.

As to Linux, it's not the solution but it's how I test to see if the underlying hardware is functional.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.