Networking & Wireless forum

Question

networking my printer

by rocknrobbi / August 5, 2014 10:20 AM PDT

i have 3 computers, all connected to my wireless router. i would like to connect my 'network' printer to my wireless router via the ethernet port on my printer and the wireless router and use the printer from any of the computers. is this possible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: networking my printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: networking my printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
If your printer supports that and there are drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: networking my printer

So, yes if the printer does that. Can I ask what make, model printer this is?
Bob

Collapse -
Networking my printer
by rocknrobbi / August 5, 2014 12:13 PM PDT

Absolutely. I just purchased a Brother DCP-7065DN. Originally I was going to buy a wireless printer but thought it would save me a bit to buy a network capable printer. So...the printer has an ethernet port and I have one open ethernet port on my wireless router. To clarify, I should be able to use the ethernet port in my wireless router to network this printer to all three computers using the routers wireless connectivity, without the need for a 'wireless print server device'. I should also mention that 2 of the computers are running XP2 and 1 computer is running 8.1. Thanks in advance for all your input and expertise.

Collapse -
The router does the wireless part of the work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Networking my printer

When folk write XP2 I have to guess they meant XP SP2 which is sometimes a problem. Given how long SP3 was out all the authors I know only support XP SP3. But from the looks of things all you need is to set it up, install and configure printer and machines to print to this printer.
Bob

Collapse -
Networking my printer
by rocknrobbi / August 5, 2014 3:51 PM PDT

Thanks. That's good to know it's doable...Will I need to change router settings to network the printer? If so, is it too complicated to explain within this forum. Might you be able to direct me to a where I can get the information? And yes I did mean XP SP2.

Collapse -
The only change I ever run into is noted in this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:55 PM PDT

It's at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7589_102-5412417.html?tag=posts;msg5412417 and concerns a few routers. I can't guess if your router does that but it's worth knowing about.

I'm sorry but did you just reveal the printer maker did not document how to set this up? That's sad and in my opinion a good reason to pack and return. That is, if they don't document such, how could I guess how to set it up?
Bob

Collapse -
Networking my printer
by rocknrobbi / August 5, 2014 4:18 PM PDT

Haven't received the printer yet...should be here in a week via ups. Was hoping to get a head start on things. Thanks for your help. This is the first time I've used a forum for answers and first time networking something without the help of software. I will look at info you provided immediately.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 6:47 PM PDT

It's usually just follow the instructions and take it one machine at a time. XP SP2 is the only anomaly you listed so far. Seems odd to find those today.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?