Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Networking my computers.....

by nuthinlikerubbin / January 21, 2006 12:03 PM PST

Hi everyone,

OK, I have a desktop pc with WinXp Pro in one room which is used by all family members and my personal laptop pc which has WinXP Home in my room.
I have a DSL broadband modem (not wireless) and it sits in the family room with the desktop. It is connected to the desktop through the USB port as my desktop does not have an ethernet port (the desktop is about 4yrs old) and then I have an ethernet cable running from the same modem to my laptop which is in the other room. I also have a multifunction printer which is in the family room that is connected to the desktop pc through another USB port.

Could someone please give me a step by step procedure of how to network both pcs and the printer? I want to be able to access the files on my desktop through my laptop and also the printer from my laptop. However, I dont want my desktop to access the files on my laptop. In other words, I want the primary pc to be my laptop.

Hope all that makes sense and I would appreciate any help I can get.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking my computers.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking my computers.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple Network
by JungleBoi / January 21, 2006 1:12 PM PST

You have a few choices about the way to go, but I would avoid Internet Connection Sharing and pick up an Internet Gateway Router, install a newtork card into your desktop.

Before I go into detailed, procedural instructions, though, I need to know if your DSL Modem is merely that or a Modem/Router combo like the Westell that Bellsouth uses.

Which is it and are you able to install a network card?

Collapse -
I think its a modem/router
by nuthinlikerubbin / January 21, 2006 2:52 PM PST
In reply to: Simple Network

It has one ethernet port and one usb port...what is the principal difference between just a modem and a modem/router?
Sorry, I live in New Zealand and do not know what Westell is.
I haven't installed a network adaptor onto my desktop yet. I thought maybe I could setup a network with what I currently have.

Collapse -
Ok, then you need a router
by Melati Hitam / January 22, 2006 1:17 AM PST

The principal differences is:

The Modem is just a modem, and modem/router is a modem and a router in one box.

With modem/router you have more than 1 rj45 (network) port, so can connect other device into it.

As for your printer, you can connect it to your desktop and enable files and printer sharing.

While in your laptop, do not enabled files and printer sharing.

With this setup, your desktop have to be turn ON/Running when you want to print from your laptop.

If you use print server, you don't need the desktop to be ON/Running.

But, with all in one printer, you might only be able to share the printing capability and not the other.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please note: Now you only have a modem...
by Melati Hitam / January 22, 2006 1:21 AM PST
Collapse -
What to do...
by JungleBoi / January 23, 2006 2:33 AM PST

You'll need a network adapter for your desktop and a router and some network cables.

I don't know what they sell in New Zealand - if possible, get the same brand network adapter and card.

Either both Linksys or D-Link, if you can.

1. Install the network card into your desktop.

2. Install the router & connect everything to it.
-- Follow the manufacturer's instructions as they vary from router to router and these days have wizards - easy steps - to get you up and on the net.
-- You'll plug the DSL modem into the Internet (or WAN) port on the router.
-- You'll connect a network cable from the router to the desktop's new adapter.
-- You'll connect a network cable from the router to the laptop.

3. Assuming that the printer is connected to your desktop and already working, right-click on the printer that you want to share with the laptop and click on ''Sharing...''

4. If you see a link that reads something like ''I understand the risks and know I want to network,'' click that link, it will display the options you need to check off.

5. Click ''Share this printer'' and name it.

6. Identify the network name for the desktop (Go to the ''Computer Name'' tab of the ''System Properties'' that comes up when you hold down the <Windows> key and tap <Pause> (located in the upper right area of your keyboard).

7. On the laptop, Click Start-->Run and type \\desktop-name where desktop-name is what you found in step 6 above. Click OK

8. That should open up a window with the shared contents of your desktop. Open the Printers folder contained therein.

9. Still on the laptop in that same window, locate the printer which you want to connect to the laptop. Right-click and click ''Connect''

10. Grab a cup of joe as you should be good to go!

Collapse -
Sharing Files
by JungleBoi / January 23, 2006 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Simple Network

I forgot that you wanted to share files.

Open a window that shows the folder that you want to share, right-click it and choose ''Sharing and Security...''

In the ensuing dialog box, under the second section, ''Network Sharing and Security,''
check off the box that says ''Share this folder on the network,'' note and/or change the share name and you should be good to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.