General discussion

networking my comps via internet

OK! How do I network my desktop and my laptop together using the internet, they both run win7 home edition. I believe I've enabled all services necessary created rules for my firewall etc. I've used the assigned IP addresses yet I get no recognition from either machine and both machines are far from antiques. I have 3 ISP's not that it matters, I use bitdefender as my security and have tried using their home network setup to no avail what am I missing suggestions please.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: networking my comps via internet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: networking my comps via internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Via the Internet?

Via the Internet? Are you sure? It sounds like you're trying to create a simple LAN, but if you're trying to do that via the Internet, you're just asking for trouble.

So why not take a step back and describe what it is you're trying to do? Don't bother trying to get all the technical details right, just plainly state what you want to accomplish.

- Collapse -
my objective

I work out of town during the week I have cc cameras on my property the feed goes to my desktop. I wish to be able to view this feed while on the road using my laptop that is what I wish to accomplish.

- Collapse -
That is going to be more trouble

That is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Probably the best work around is to have a script that takes screenshots of the video feed at specific intervals, and then uploads those to some web server that you can then access. Of course the obvious problem with that is the amount of bandwidth it's going to consume, not to mention the amount of storage it will require over time. You'd need another script to go along and start deleting some of those photos off of the server eventually.

Even if you could set it up the way you want, you'd need a fair bit of bandwidth to get a live video stream. If you're on a Cable Internet system, forget it, you're probably lucky to have 128K worth of upload capacity. DSL usually isn't a whole lot better, most services topping out around 768K. Satellite generally requires an analog modem, so that's even worse than cable. If it's some kind of wireless or cellular setup, then you're going to very quickly exceed your bandwidth cap and find yourself waking up on the floor after you pass out from seeing the size of your monthly bill with all those overage fees. That's assuming you have the necessary upload capacity to make it worth while, which you almost certainly won't.

Then there's the whole security issue Bob mentions. It doesn't matter if you have a firewall running, every time you allow some traffic in or out, that's a hole that can potentially be exploited. It's as simple as that. Firewalls are not these magical protectors that will only let in the good traffic and keep out the bad. They're not that smart. They tend to let in ANY traffic that conforms with whatever rules you have set up. So consider for a moment the possibility of someone else stumbling across this video feed of yours. Would that not allow any would-be burglar to get an idea of where your CC cameras are positioned, so they could avoid them? And let's also consider the possibility that you can do exactly what you want to do. Say while you're monitoring the feed from some location hundreds of miles away, you witness someone breaking into your place. Then what? All you can do is call the cops, and maybe give them a bit of a head start over if you came back to find the place had been burgled and reviewed the CC feed. You're really gaining very little in terms of physical security, and sacrificing a LOT in network security. You'd be better off having a neighbor or someone come by once or twice a day, just to look in on things. They don't even need to go inside if you're worried about them leaving a door unlocked or something. They can just look in a window or two, make sure things seem to be in order.

- Collapse -
Tell me more.

Let's hear how what you mean by networking. Network drive shares are never a good idea. Same for printers. There is NO SECURITY in the native OS worth talking about. You may find new folk thinking they could share drives and printers over the internet but they only need to catch up on how things are (security.)

For now, take another look at Dropbox.
Bob

- Collapse -
Security

Bob,
I've watched your replies over the years and you have helped me more then a few times with difficult issues I respect your knowledge and advice. Is it possible that an adequate security provider like Bit Defender protect a system against intrusion.

- Collapse -
In this case I have to write no.

To allow the connection we have to drop our guard for the ports.

HOWEVER!!! It appears this is not for a network share or printer access (the usual Windows networking) but some "cc cameras" which is an entirely different type of networking.

Let me tip my hand a little in that I am actively involved in CCTV systems for over a decade. While there is not enough in this discussion (details) for me to write "do this or that" it is possible for most remote access IP CCTV systems to be viewed from the internet. Security is not the same as your Windows Share so if we do this right, we can get there.

But with the detail so far I can't offer much other than the usual tricks of Dynamic DNS and putting an IP CCTV camera into the DMZ.
Bob

CNET Forums