Samsung forum

Rant

Networking Issues - UE55F8000

by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 2:02 AM PDT

I have an irritating issue which is preventing me using the tv as it was intended. I have the following set up.

Samsung TV wired via CAT5 to an ethernet bridge (almond+) which in turn is linked to my Homehub5 from BT.

The tv will not recognise that it is connected to the network.

Opening the following apps, Iplayer, Netflix and Amazon instant and the TV says its not connected and fails its own network test.

Whilst opening the following Apps , Plex, Web Browser, ITV Player and Channel 5 on demand. It works fine.

This is highly infuriating as I have it connected in this way so I can stream 1080p without issue. ( which I can ) provided it is not in the BAD list.

This makes no sense at all. If I connect it straight to the Homehub 5 via wireless it does not have this issue.

How can this be resolved, tried changing DNS etc etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking Issues - UE55F8000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking Issues - UE55F8000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional info
by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 2:07 AM PDT

Would like to add that I have a pc also connected to the almond+, it works perfectly.
Its just the TV that does not want to play ball.
Its either connected or not, some apps it is...........some its not and insists on a network check even though its streamed a movie across the network or watched catchup tv via Channel 5 on demand.

It even reports it has a valid IP address which it clearly has, yet on the network test it stops at the point from tv to router.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Collapse -
For now,stop and wait for Samsung to resolve the other issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 2:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Seems a different issue to me?
by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 3:01 AM PDT

I get "Network interference occurred. Please try again later" whenever I click on @internet button.
My internet is wired connection. Network test is succsseful.
I reset my router, reset TV. set the DNS to manual with 8.8.8.8 and tried 8.8.4.4. But still not working.
Samsung tech support (chat) said try again later!!!
Netflix alone is streaming. But none of my other apps youtube, Hulu not working ...

In my case the TV does not register that it is connected when it clearly is?

I think the rabbit hole runs deeper than a bit of network interference Happy

Collapse -
There are many tunnels.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 3:21 AM PDT

To name a few.

1. DNS.
2. Firewalls in the router.
3. Issues beyond single modem/router setups. Example:
http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=510

My thought is as long as Samsung's services are wonky you may want to put off working this area.

My thought years ago is Samsung's choice of hard wiring the Smart TV and apps to Samsung services was going to haunt them forever.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh Joy
by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 3:33 AM PDT

I agree, just odd as only just started to happen. Not sure if its just become evident since the latest update.
Just been having a real nightmare with the front room networking, I'm a hard wired kinda guy as its dependable and you dont have to worry about signal and reliability.
New house, new walls etc etc. Tried powerline first off............. have a split consumer board which knackered me up on that so wireless is my next option which is not paying off either.

Cant beat a 50m cat5 and a drill........... Already had to send back my AV500 devolo as wouldnt work and my Linksys WUMC710 bridge is unreliable.

Backed the Almond+ on kickstarter which has sat in a box for two months and now the TV is giving me jip this week.

Collapse -
Answer to comments
by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 3:39 AM PDT

1 - Changed but as I mentioned only affects tv but apparently not the apps on the tv as some work even though the tv not allegedly connected. Tried 8.8.8.8, besides............ the tv can see and use internet apps as it stands. The TV does not think its connected on its own. Yet the web browser works.

2&3 - Worked fine in this arrangement till recently. Yes I have changed bridge but in principal the same. Again still works and allocates IP address and certain apps work. Did think port forwarding or firewall but think its on the samsung software side or some apps use a different networking protocol.

Wondering if some apps use a different method of checking connectivity. Others may use the tv software method?

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer to comments

Sorry if I was unclear. Samsung needs to resolve their current problem and then apps may go wonky with the changes. My advice is to disable Samsung's smart hub and use something else until Samsung gets it sorted so that it's not so dependent on Samsung's services.
Bob

Collapse -
I do not agree
by seamonkeyball / October 17, 2014 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Bob

Any world class manufacturer would be gathering all the information about any issues contained in firmware updates to enable them to address a fix that covers the most predominant issues.

No manufacturer, especially the worlds leading LCD supplier would be addressing each individual issue on a singular basis. This does not make any logistical sense.

In my mind, the forums are a useful tool for Samsung to use to prioritize issues and they themselves where the quick win is.

Scanning the forums, I am not alone in having App issues with connectivity. As a manufacturer Samsung need to address these and keep customers happy and encourage repeat purchases plus get new customers.

Disabling the smart hub is not a solution on a £2000 tv. If I wanted to disable it then I would have purchased a tv without these functions...............

Collapse -
I agree with you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2014 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I do not agree

There must be some issue at Samsung that we don't know about. It could be a political one where the lead architect or CxO is mandating this or that and we see the fallout.

Many folk want the pain to end so what to do with a closed source system?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?