Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

networking issue

by onlinegamesnz / May 25, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

Hi, i have a network..(in the attached picture) but a problem..the problem is i cant get the DVR pictured to connect with software..The DVR is a camera monitoring ssystem with LAN capability...my question is..it asks for a DEFAULT GATEWAY, but i have already setup a gateway for my 3G Modem? so do i make it the same? make it different? i made the ip address different on the network too all other devices connected? please help me..thanks

image at:

http://www.tab-db.com/network.gif

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: networking issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: networking issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see a router in your picture
by Steven Haninger / May 25, 2008 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: networking issue

The gateway is generally the IP address of the router. It will have an address within the IP range of your other devices and allow your LAN to connect to the WAN. All of your connected devices need an IP address and you either configure these as fixed or let the router handle it. How are you doing this?

Collapse -
networking issue
by onlinegamesnz / May 26, 2008 5:59 PM PDT

i dont know..ryt now i have got the IP address as 192.168.123.104 and the gateway as 192.168.123.254 (same as the 3g modem) but when i ping the DVR using 192.168.123.104 and it says "destination host unreachable"....

Before, i set gateway to some random (192.168.1.100) and ip address (192.168.1.129) and when pinged said "destination net unreachable"????

anyone?
thanks

Collapse -
Without knowing the NETMASK?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 11:43 PM PDT

Sorry I can't check to see why it would do that.

Collapse -
What did you use to set the IP address
by Steven Haninger / May 27, 2008 1:09 AM PDT

on the recorder? Can it be done from the recorder itself or do you need to reach it through a PC? I will presume you send the ping from a PC on the LAN, that will have to be within the same network range or you'll get the error you mentioned. That message means there was no route to that address.

Collapse -
networking issue
by onlinegamesnz / May 28, 2008 4:25 PM PDT

yes on the recorder...and you can set all IP info on the recorder it self..and i do ping through a PC..when i connect to it directly with my laptop i configure the TCP/IP settings of the connection manually...so i match the gateways from the recorder to the connection and set different IP's..connects fine? just not on the home network?

Collapse -
Between the 3g modem and switch
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2008 11:44 PM PDT

Use a router like you see at 3gstore.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?