General discussion

Networking Different XP OS

I have two PCs connected via adsl modem/router. One is running xp pro the other xp home. I cannot get them to see one another. Do they need to be running the same OS to operate as a LAN?
Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Networking Different XP OS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Networking Different XP OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Turrn off the XP firewall

It's one of the most common sources of problems novices have trying to network systems to XP.

- Collapse -
Turrn off the XP firewall

Is my PC not at risk if I turn off the firewall? I also have zone alarm, should I disable that as well?
Thank you for your assistance Happy

- Collapse -
Don't think you should...

I would be very reluctant to turn off ZoneAlarm. Maybe yewanchors will give you a better response... just my opinion.

Best of luck,

Glenn

- Collapse -
If you have SP2

Your firewall settings allow "file and print sharing" and you can leave it on. My home "LAN" is a mix of XP Pro, Home and Win2K. All exist fine and share common printers. You need to make sure file and print sharing is turned on for all PCs, and you need to set up shares. Pro has some additional security features. If logon with a username/password is required on any local PC, a remote logon might be required unless the same users are all defined on all machines. There are some bumps and tricks but, to answer your question, they don't need to be the same OS and you can have the firewall turned on if the settings are done right.

CNET Forums

Forum Info