Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Networking Different XP OS

by the2boys / February 24, 2005 10:38 PM PST

I have two PCs connected via adsl modem/router. One is running xp pro the other xp home. I cannot get them to see one another. Do they need to be running the same OS to operate as a LAN?
Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking Different XP OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking Different XP OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turrn off the XP firewall
by Yew / February 25, 2005 12:08 AM PST

It's one of the most common sources of problems novices have trying to network systems to XP.

Collapse -
Turrn off the XP firewall
by the2boys / February 25, 2005 10:08 AM PST

Is my PC not at risk if I turn off the firewall? I also have zone alarm, should I disable that as well?
Thank you for your assistance Happy

Collapse -
Don't think you should...
by glenn30 / February 25, 2005 10:24 AM PST

I would be very reluctant to turn off ZoneAlarm. Maybe yewanchors will give you a better response... just my opinion.

Best of luck,

Glenn

Collapse -
If you have SP2
by Steven Haninger / February 25, 2005 10:27 AM PST

Your firewall settings allow "file and print sharing" and you can leave it on. My home "LAN" is a mix of XP Pro, Home and Win2K. All exist fine and share common printers. You need to make sure file and print sharing is turned on for all PCs, and you need to set up shares. Pro has some additional security features. If logon with a username/password is required on any local PC, a remote logon might be required unless the same users are all defined on all machines. There are some bumps and tricks but, to answer your question, they don't need to be the same OS and you can have the firewall turned on if the settings are done right.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!