Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Networking between Mac & PC & Printer

by dawajo / March 1, 2007 1:53 PM PST

I have cable modem service going into a Netgear WPN824 Router. With this router I've been trying to home network a Dell Dimension PC (running XP Pro), an IBM Thinkpad notebook (running XP Pro), an iMac (recent purchase), and an HP PSC2510 all-in-one printer. I'd like all three computers to be able to print to the HP printer; if necessary I can connect the iMac directly to the printer via USB cable (then use the computer to share the printer), but ideally would like everything to run through the router. I have had no problem getting internet access to all computers through this router, but the printer (and file sharing)? Yecch.

This doesn't sound impossible, and yet I've seemingly tried everything for many, many hours to no avail. Can anyone much smarter than I am give me a step-by-step on how to get this accomplished? Even if I can get this network setup like this, due to the Mac/PC thing can I have any hope that it will be stable for more than a day?

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking between Mac & PC & Printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking between Mac & PC & Printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use Bonjour
by hate pc / March 1, 2007 2:18 PM PST

I have a similar setup. Connect your mac to your printer. On each pc, download Bonjour for windows (its free on apple's website - just google bonjour for windows), and it's very self explanatory from there. It works perfectly. Leave it to apple to straighten out windows networking mess. The only downside is that the mac has to be awake in order to print from any of the computers.

Mike

Collapse -
Qs on Bonjour
by dawajo / March 1, 2007 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: use Bonjour

Thanks but having the iMac awake doesn't sound too convenient for us (there are stairs involved!). On but in standby is not OK? Do you know if the print jobs are held in a queue so that when the iMac wakes up the print jobs go through, or are they just lost?

If not, are there any other ideas out there to setup this network?

Collapse -
Bonjour
by hate pc / March 1, 2007 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Qs on Bonjour

I'm not sure of the difference between standby and sleep on the Mac. You can set the preferences to put the screen to sleep while still keeping the computer awake (under system preferences/energy saver). In this scenario the jobs will print and you still save screen life.
If you send a print while the Mac is asleep, it does save the jobs in a queue. It will not automatically print them when you awaken the Mac. You need to go into the printer software and tell it to resume the print jobs. (system preferences/print & fax/print queue...)
One more thing I forgot to mention, the Mac must be awake while running the setup wizard for Bonjour on your other computers, or the pcs won't be able to find the printer.
There probably are other ways to set this up. But just like you, I wasted hours trying to get Windows and my router software to do the job with no success. Bonjour had it working in minutes. And it's been reliable from day one.
Try it and post your experience. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Collapse -
Bonjour
by dawajo / March 2, 2007 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Bonjour

As you predicted, it works great on my laptop. I just had to open up UDP port 5353 in order for it to work, and that was pretty easy if you just look around a bit within Windows firewall. Also as you predicted, the iMac needs to be awake. Tonight I will try the other PC; no reason to not expect success here as well. I've decided that a trip up the stairs when we want to print is much better than not being able to print at all, and climbing stairs has other benefits ...

Thanks for the info on Bonjour; it appears that you and Apple have solved my problem!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.