Computer Help forum

Question

Networking???

by kemperhills / June 1, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

In my home I have 4 devices on my home network. My daughters laptop that is connected wireless. My son's X-box that is connected wireless. My wife's wireless printer, and an acer computer connected by an ethernet line.

I have been trying to get an HP Compaq dc7600 small form factor that is wireless connected to the network and I can't. When I open the network setup wizard on the Hp a window opens that says, "The wizard found disconnected network hardware". Below that it says, "The network connections listed belwo are disconnected. Plug in you network cables or otherwise connect your network hardware, and then click Next".

In a box below that the network connections that are listed as disconnected is, "Local Area Connection Broad con NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet."

If this is enough information, or the correct information, can anyone tell me why I can't connect the Hp to the network>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Networking???
by kemperhills / June 1, 2012 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Networking???

I knew I would forget something. The HP is running XP Pro and the Acer is running Vista. My daughter's laptop is running W7. The JP is connected to ATT's wireless router through a D-Link wireless adapter.

Collapse -
You can start by ignoring that warning if you're wanting to
by Steven Haninger / June 1, 2012 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Networking???

connect via wireless. You're dealing with the wireless interface only and the first thing you need to determine is if it is functioning properly. I'd start by going to network connections and look for that device. If not there, I'd go to device manager to see if such exists. If you see any yellow exclamation points in device manager, that could be with wireless device with a missing driver. You might also find it disabled as indicated in red. In any event, you look for the wireless hardware. If working, you should have a function to search for available networks and you should be able to find your own by its SSID. Poke around using this information and come back with your findings.

Collapse -
You can start....

Thanks Steven but the wireless is working. I connect to the internet ok. I even opened Networking in the Acer control panel last night and found that the Acer recognizes the HP but shows that the Hp is not connected to the network.

Collapse -
Re: network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: You can start....

Not really clear what you mean with "recognizes" and "shows". If you had said "shows the HP but doesn't recognize it's connected" it would have been just as meaningless as it is now "recognizes the HP but shows it's not connected".

Anyway, the usuals for networking:
- same workgroup
- same userid
- file and/or printer sharing (depending on what you want) enabled

Kees

Collapse -
That's new information
by Steven Haninger / June 2, 2012 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You can start....

I hope you've typed this correctly because you've just now said that the Acer says the HP isn't connected. In any event, you're dealing with two types of connections. If your wireless icon notes a connection but your Ethernet says no connection, that would be normal as it sounds as if your Ethernet is not plugged in. Do you have both wireless and wired network icons displayed bottom right on your desktop? If so, I wonder if you have the wired connection set to only display if not connected. You can fix that through the control panel/network connections. If your internet and LAN are all otherwise working, you can also just ignore it.

Collapse -
networking
by kemperhills / June 24, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: That's new information

Sorry guys, I have been out for a while but thanks for you help. I have given up. Sometime in the future I will get a computer guy to help me.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!