Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Networking 2way-satellite and G5s with CNet CNSH-800?

by nosirrah / February 24, 2005 6:59 AM PST

Computers I can handle - LANs are a mystery.

Have just upgraded to G5 iMacs (OS10.3), and 2way satellite internet with Ethernet connection. My internet provider does not give support for networking. Want to be able to provide full networking to about 5 cabled points without using one computer to share internet.

Was sold a CNSH-800 to do this (by reseller not really into cable) but have been unable to get it to share internet. Cannot find any info on using this particular box, and am wondering if I need a more specific router.

Any help greatly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking 2way-satellite and G5s with CNet CNSH-800?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking 2way-satellite and G5s with CNet CNSH-800?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This device appears to be....
by Michael Geist / February 24, 2005 7:58 AM PST

a multiported ethernet switch. As such you need some form of Internet Sharing software to divy up the broadband. Or a router.

Collapse -
"without using one computer to share internet."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 8:56 AM PST

Sorry, I've only seen this done with satellite with the computer based solution.

Bob

Collapse -
"only seen this done"
by nosirrah / March 8, 2005 7:57 AM PST

I'm not sure if "this" applied to using my original switch, or to any form of connection from a satellite.

I have now installed a Linksys router switch and have a (mostly) usable network.

Thanks for replying
Graham

Collapse -
Me thinking about the more common 1 way satellite...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2005 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: "only seen this done"

I missed it.

bob

Collapse -
More precise definition of problem
by nosirrah / March 9, 2005 3:42 PM PST

When one of the iMacs is connected directly to the satellite modem, web browsing requires proxies. Mail gets "unable to connect" messages, and I can't find a place for a mail proxy.

If I connect computers using the CNet CNSH-800, they can all talk to each other but only one gets internet connection - the Satellite's IP address is passed on to the first in line.

HOWEVER - this computer now needs NO proxies, and CAN access mail of any form.

If I connect them to a Linksys BEFSR41 v3, each computer can get to the internet as if it was directly into the modem - i.e needs proxies, and can't get mail.

I have tried daisy-chaining the two boxes without any better results.

What I really want is all computers to be networked, on the internet, and getting mail.

Collapse -
Networking 2way-satellite and G5s with CNet CNSH-800?
by jcrobso / March 10, 2005 6:03 AM PST

You might try posting in the MAC fourm. In windows it is possible to have one PC act as the proxie for the others.
I belive it can be done also with OSX. John

Collapse -
Problem solved
by nosirrah / March 10, 2005 10:06 AM PST

It turns out it was a case of the missing DSN server. When my modem was set up I was not given one, only the proxies.

There may be a simpler way to find out, but I tried putting the CNSH-800 in front of the Linksys and made the router use DHCP to get its IP. This didn't give me better access, but did reveal the DSN server in the Router's status.

When I took out the CNSH-800 and set the router's static IP with this DNS server, everything was fine. No need for proxies and all computers get mail too.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?