Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

networking

by mszakk / May 12, 2004 3:57 AM PDT

i have an Ntsever connected to 2 computers - 1 is windows 98 and the other is 2000 i can access the 98 from the other 2 but when i try to access the server or the 2000 machine from the 98 it ask for a password and there isnt one. what is the problem?
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:networking 98/NT/2000.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2004 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: networking

"when i try to access the server or the 2000 machine from the 98 it ask for a password and there isnt one. what is the problem?"

NT and 2000 have "users" and passwords. Too bad you didn't reveal if IPC$ was in the message box. I won't know if http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/maperrnt.htm would help you out.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:networking 98/NT/2000.
by mszakk / May 12, 2004 4:16 AM PDT

yes this IPC$ was in the message

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:networking 98/NT/2000.
by mszakk / May 12, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

i have the 98 connected through the ntsever. there should be 4 folders showing up but only 3 do. all of them show up on the 2000. the folder i cant find called is network files
thanks

Collapse -
Imagine all I know about the issues are what you tell me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

While it seems the initial issue is conquered, I'm unsure because your never wrote if you fixed it, or how.

In your latest post, you mention folders, but no description of how such are being displayed. There are folders in Explorer, Control Panel, other places. And you could be pointing at a mounted drive letter, a fully qualified path to somewhere on a network or via a web browser.

Please don't make me guess since I don't like bad guesses.

In closing, since you may be learning about accounts and permissions, it is a new area that a directory doesn't have to show if the permissions are set just so.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Imagine all I know about the issues are what you tell me.
by mszakk / May 13, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

i fixed the first issue by going to the page you sent me. thank you very much. when i open the explorer i go to my network places,click on this and in the window are four icons. 1 is the nt server, 1 is the other computer(2000)1 is mine and 1 that says entire network. when i go into the server from 2000 there is 4 folders and the printer listed. when i acces this from 98 there is the printer and only 3 folders. the folder that is missing is called network files. i have givin all computers full permission-access to the each other. you stated that the directory doesn't have to show the folders if the permission is not set right. how do i know if it is?.
Once again thanks for your time!

Collapse -
Gotta ask. Who made "network files?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2004 2:11 AM PDT

There are some directories that might appear to some clients to give automatic access to drivers and more. This folder may be one of these special folders that make working with Windows networking so much fun.

Sorry, but I can't tell who made this directory.

In closing, why deal with it?

Hint: create a new directory on the Windows 98 box. See if the others see it and then move all the stuff into that...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Gotta ask. Who made
by mszakk / May 13, 2004 2:25 AM PDT

ok i was going to try this. this setup id for a friends small buisness and they think they have to have these files in this folder cause they use quick books 2004. i told them we can maove it to a different folder but they think otherwise. i will try this. thanks again

Collapse -
The end run.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2004 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Gotta ask. Who made

Rename the folder that doesn't show.
Create it on the 98 box and make sure the others show it. (Tap F5 to refresh if need be)
Copy the contents to the newly created directory that you made on the 98 box.

I bet it's a permissions, groups and such issue, but learning such may not be needed if you just need to get past this.

There are find books on this subject, many web articles, but I don't duplicate such here. I just note them. I would note such, but I haven't read enough clues to tell you which may apply.

Best of luck,

bob

Collapse -
Tip: if Cnet's forum doesn't allow a reply. Reply to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2004 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: networking
Wink
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?