TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Networked media options?

Sorry for the long post but here it goes.

I have a pre-existing ethernet network with three computers attached sharing one DSL connection with an empty ethernet port available on my router. I also have an HDTV. My primary computer runs MCE 2005 but does NOT have a PVR or TV Tuner. I have been reading very intently on a very interesting setup for home networking. It uses the power system already in your home. You connect a device (computer, router, etc.) to a powerline-network adapter via Ethernet and then connect the power cable into a power outlet. You then connect another device in the same way. This creates a good connection from anywhere in your house.

I have also heard a lot about people buying "digital media adapters" which let you hook it up to a TV/stereo and connect to the network via Ethernet. Then you can share your photos, video, music, etc. on your HDTV. My goal is to use the powerline networking method I described to connect my router to the digital media adapter. My main question is, "Will this work?" Here is a link to CNET's article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-3243_7-6557573.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

My next question is what digital media "device(s)" would I need to buy in order to send my (HD)TV signals over this said network so I could watch them and save them on my main computer(the one running MCE 2005 w/o a TV Tuner/PVR)? I assume I would need to buy one of the digital media adapters that has HD inputs so it could send HD video to the network. Is it even possible to send HD video to the computer using this networking option? Thanks for bearing through with my long post. I would really appreciate your help... Thanks!

P.S. If any more info is needed, please ask!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networked media options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networked media options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link is to quite new product

In reply to: Networked media options?

C/net editor preferred wireless & no cable mess. Cable mess is real, but wireless often doesn't live up to operational hopes & how about prying people scanning for hot spots? Like the idea of someone listening into your private business?

To my inclination, I'm not frothing at the mouth to try to integrate my computer with my A/V rig. I'd like to see how Apples' iTV or whatever it's called will do, for instance.

Collapse -
Apple always confuses me...

In reply to: Link is to quite new product

Every product they release explains what it can do yet they fail to explain what you will need in order for it to work. For example, does it record the TV signals to the AppleTV, does it play anything besides iTunes content on your computer, how it would connect to your TV and the network? Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
I have long been Mac oriented at home though set up with the

In reply to: Apple always confuses me...

other side at work. So much anticipation surrounds every release from a significant player. There are always advocates pro & automatically cynical.

I am, of course on the Apple news distribution e-mail lists. Frankly, I listened/read through the AppleTV announcement half-heartedly as I've no plans to implement it early on.

It should integrate well within the Apple community iTunes, etc. An Elegato (?) EyeTV product is said to already as much as Apple promises.

In any event I'm as firmly Apple as ever because they are being more compliant towards convergence. After all, I run dual-platform (poorly) so as to not be left out from some MS only compatibility stuff I exchange with friends. But one can't run Mac on a MS oriented generic PC.

My orientation revealed don't claim wonderfulness consistently. I've suffered several times with hated MAC OS intermediate versions. However, backwards compatability can't go on endlessly. We must move on. Steve Jobs has been a despot just as Billy Gates has (though affecting far more people.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!