Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Network user error for home use??

My company had our IT guy set up my laptop on the company network. He webex'd into my pc remotely and worked on it for over an hour. He created new user accounts, etc. I have since left the company and now when I attmept to log on at home (cable modem) the error says i cannot access certain files (outlook, etc.) because i do not have admin rights. Can anyone tell me how to over ride what he did to my laptop. I have windows XP prof. on my dell 8600 inspirion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network user error for home use??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network user error for home use??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Really Knowledgeable on This ....But Do Have Laptop....

In reply to: Network user error for home use??

set-up originally for at home cable and later set up by company tech to access Corporate network.
Basically, he set home page (on one accnt) to company address, and left original in as well.
Now we just choose (she still w/ company).
Did you, as owner of laptop, not set up yourself( with admin status) new from store when you created your first own log-on?
If following gets you in, you probably should give yourself admin rights under a NEW password protected Log-on for installing programs etc. You could also create a NEW User Log-on for yourself with base or carefully limited rights and delete previous. Better when surfing to have only user rights (no installs) because this prevents "drive by installs" & forced downloads.
Additionally you should remove company's access by remote and delete out their account so they can't revist you from remote.
This from previous post in this forum, may help?:
Windows XP

XP Forum

Re:Log In

Have they tried entering user as: administrator
and leave the password blank.

This should logon as the hyphen administrator.

If that works then go to User Accounts and click on their user and
check if there is any password if so delete the password and it
should auto-logon during boot.
Posted by: David Chan Posted on: 11/26/2003 8:56 AM

OR (from my notes) Try:
Push (simultaneously) Ctrl-alt-delete 2 times in a row and you should get 2 blank boxes. Type in new user name & password and you should be in. Hoping it works! Happy

Collapse -
Network user error for home use??

In reply to: Network user error for home use??

You need to disconnect yourself from your old Company's domain or Network.you can do that by right click my computer>> then click on Properties click on Changeand then toggle to Member of , and choose workgroup. good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.