HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network two office computers

by ifxhrts / February 23, 2006 10:24 PM PST

I have my office computer that is currently hooked up to my T1 internet service. I just bought a second computer that will be set up at the desk next to me. What is the best way to network the two, to share files and also the internet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network two office computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network two office computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Router or maybe Accesspoint/router?
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2006 1:23 AM PST

eventhough you can use Crossover cable and use ICS.

Accesspoint/router is the best way to go, since you also can use it wirelessly.. (for your next laptop maybe?)

Collapse -
Sharing
by byker49 / February 24, 2006 1:26 AM PST

In my opinion the best way to go would be wireless. You will need a broadband router for the first computer and a wireless card for the other computer. The advantage being you can move the second computer anywhere in range of the network signal.

Collapse -
be sure to get
by byker49 / February 24, 2006 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Sharing

A "wireless" broadband router.

Collapse -
Quickest way
by bknowledge / February 24, 2006 3:01 AM PST

the simplest way will be to use a switch and a good one is Linksys EtherFast 5-port Auto-Sensing switch. Just plug the DSL or Cable Modem into the first port and then connect each PC to the Switch and use windows wizard to setup the network & file sharing.

With a wireless router (Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/SB WRT54GS) you'll get the same effect but will also be ready to add more PC's or laptops wirelessly and it would be nice if your clients can stop by with their laptops and use the internet.

I currently use both items in my setup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.