Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network setup -- unsure best config

Apologies for the lengthy description:

This is for a home office based medical consulting business.

I have a D-Link 504 4-port DSL Router as the connection to the phone line -- firewall off.

I have the router connected to the XP pro Host internet card (two Network cards).

The Host and the other two computers (Xp Home and W98SE) on the LAN connect to a 5-port switch.

The Network Bridge used to be in the Host between the internet card and the LAN card.

Router: 192.168.0.1
Host: WAS .0.2 on internet network card

now all three computers cards are set to "obtain automatically" for IP address and DNS server. but now not functioning as a network nor as a gateway.

Story: I was adding a new XP home computer to a well-functioning network with an XP Pro host. THe network wizard on the new machine was run but the XP Home computer did not integrate properly -- eg the Pro machine would not allow it to see the Shared docs. Also printer off this new Xp Home machine (which needs to act as the print server) soon becomes unavailable to Host even after correct adding and test page print.

When i followed the Micrsoft prompt to run the Network trouble shooter (gulp) on the XP Pro Host I lemminged into the Network Wizard which erased the working bridge. and now only the Host can access the internet and nothing else can access or be accessed.

Last I tried to sort this when the Network was established 3 years ago (the print server was a W95 machine...), I had to replace the carpet owing to traipsing back and forth altering settings and rebooting all the machines over and over. In fact I had to get help in to get the bridge to work. BUT it did work well and trouble-free until the Troubleshooter got me.

The ISP has told me to get rid of the switch and put it all through the router. I like the idea of the switch because it makes all the traffic go through the Host, which has a TrendMicro firewall with Realtime scan, plus network settings and permissions i can understand how to adjust, plus AdAwareSE Plus. It seems easier to keep all this protection watched and maintained on the one machine.

The router does have a stateful firewall turned off, (because i could easily understand how to configure it, and it seemed that permissions were required for every application).

As there are other users even less sophisticated than me and i am away consulting by day, the setup can not have anything that requires decisions and action otherwise they will have to keep calling me up and bug me while i am trying to consult.

Is there a better way, before I try to emulate what i had before?

Cheers
Faldown

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network setup -- unsure best config
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network setup -- unsure best config
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing.

In reply to: Network setup -- unsure best config

My setup is DSL -> Router -> machines and it was a snap to setup and I haven't bothered with it for months outside of power cycling the router and modem when it acted oddly. But that hasn't happened since new FIRMWARE showed up which seems to have fixed something.

In short, it's not something I have to spend any time on.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you have the router firewall on?

In reply to: Sharing.

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: (NT) Do you have the router firewall on?

But it seemed to be all too easy. Flip to on and it's done. I listed the protocols/ports I want allowed and done.

Bob

Collapse -
Is it ok /good /unnecessary to have all the firewalls on

In reply to: Yes.

With router that would make three: Windows, Trendmicro and the D-link router.

Collapse -
That is...

In reply to: Is it ok /good /unnecessary to have all the firewalls on

Your choice. I can't answer such because I'm not you and have no idea what your goals are. Here it just works and is as safe as it can be without spending weeks dissecting it all.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Bob

In reply to: That is...

Collapse -
adding Xp Home to network

In reply to: That is...

Well to get down all the facts, Windows 98 is not a good system to intergrate with an XP professional as a host. Your best bet is to get rid of the 98 machine and just replace it with another XP machine (home, or professional). As for your firewall, make sure that you have it running on the router. Your switch has nothing to do with your network, so your ISP telling you to get rid of it was really not necessary. I have 3 mahinces on my network, 1. Laptop Wireless, XP professonal/2003 server enterprise addition. 2. HP desktop wired LAN on a netgear WTG624 108 MBPS router, and another desktop on my wired LAN, with and XBOX console. They all have network connections on my router but make sure that your router gives all your PC's an IP address from the DHCP server and that all machines have the same gateway IP address and are on the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) my network config is as follows

192.168.0.5 =host #1 192.168.0.6 =host#2 192.168.0.7=host#3 192.168.0.8 and my xbox is 192.168.0.72. i have my xbox in a higher address so it wont conflict with new machines connected to my network.
also make your router reserves IP addresses to your main machines so that they will always be connected to your DCHP server on start up.

Hope this helps.

Network engineer student @ westwood college of upland, Ca

Collapse -
Thanks for yor response..a couple of Qs

In reply to: adding Xp Home to network

You know the funny thing is the 98 machine has been the least fussy (possibly because it has no firewall). BTW I also have a wired network.

The problem I am having seems to have something to do with the firewalls: XP ProSP1 versus XPhomeSP2, and the Trendmicro firewalls in each. Now I have turned off all of them (but with the D-link DSL Router fwall ON). The Pro and Home machines still had a problem (mainly the Pro), so I installed the Netbeui Protocol on all of 'em, and it came good.

I am told that if you are using the Router as the bridge or host of the LAN then you should not have any files shares bound to TCP/IP protocol. Since I HAVE to share files and printers, I went to Netbeui. Do you have any better suggestion.

I am about to upgrade to PRO SP2. (You can see my progress on that in the XP forum.)Will that make any difference to the compatibilty of Home with Pro.

Collapse -
Bridge is one thing. A router is another.

In reply to: Thanks for yor response..a couple of Qs

Be sure which you are configuring since the network share answer changes with the configuration.

Bob

Collapse -
It's a router -- loose language

In reply to: Bridge is one thing. A router is another.

I only meant the LAN is created in the router.

Collapse -
That doesn't sound useful.

In reply to: It's a router -- loose language

I can share that a very old machine did indeed have a LAN inside, but not outside. Creating a LAN inside a router is an interesting idea.

-> You are not asking a question that isn't in the manual or on Linksys or Dlink web sites. One strange idea is that I don't duplicate web content.

Bob

Collapse -
I was responding to comments by andretti99

In reply to: That doesn't sound useful.

You became involved again after reading into that.

I do not believe I have asked you to duplicate web content.

Collapse -
netbeui

In reply to: Thanks for yor response..a couple of Qs

that is a good idea but you have to configure all machines to use netbeui to communicate to other machines on your network. So that means more headaches. But using a WINS server on your network might makes things easy and it won't create so much network traffic that make your network slow down.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!