Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Network setup problem - crossover cable

I have exactly the same problem as:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=47571&messageID=-1

fredo55 never said whether or not he fixed the problem...I suspect he did not so I am submitting this in the Windows XP Forum.

Anyway, I have a Compaq Presario 1215US laptop connected to my Dell Dimension 2350 desktop with a crossover cable. The Laptop has a Compaq10-100 MiniPCI Ethernet NIC and apparently has no problem with its network setup.

The Dell has a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller for the network adapter. The V.4.25 Ethernet driver so it should be up-to date.

My Local Area Connection Icon in the taskbar has a yellow ! (Local area connection status is Limited or no connectivity.) Repair tries to renew the IP address but fails.

I have worked and searched all afternoon but I am stuck.

I installed WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu but apparently it did not apply.

My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Mshome shows only the computer on which the network is installed. That is, the laptop shows Laptop(Compaq) and the desktop shows Desktop(Dell).

Any solution would be appreciated.

Dell's support site is pretty much useless

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network setup problem - crossover cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network setup problem - crossover cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given what was presented, it should not work.

In reply to: Network setup problem - crossover cable

I see no mention of ICS, manual IP address assignmenr or any detail that would say this should work.

What web site are you using for reference? http://www.wown.com ?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I assumed Network Setup Wizard would set up the network

In reply to: Given what was presented, it should not work.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not for a crossover cable it wouldn't.

In reply to: (NT) I assumed Network Setup Wizard would set up the network

Collapse -
Well, it works after following steps in:

In reply to: Network setup problem - crossover cable

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813936

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition
Article ID:813936

I would be hard pressed to say why it works but it works fine.

The whole point of this exercise was to write to CDs an Acronis True Image backup file created by my older Compaq laptop computer. Its CDR was simply incapable of writing a 6.42 GB backup to disks?period.

With this simple (mechanically anyway) LAN, I moved the file to my desktop and wrote the CDs with no problem at all.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!