Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network Security

Ive been wondering why when you have a network of computers in your home, why you would need security installed on each computer?
The router is suppose to be firewalled, and shouldnt the main computer be serving all the security for all computers for the virus portection?
Also, when your connected to a network isnt there a program that you can use to chat to each of the computers, without signing up and regesitering to use?
Im not having issues just wondering what others are thinking about this, so it can make more sense to me. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's simple.

In reply to: Network Security

Because machines can be infected from USB memory sticks, CDs, exploits on web pages and the list goes on and on we not only protect the network but each machine from the others.

Given that such protection can be free why wouldn't we?
Bob

Collapse -
Routers have firewalls. . .

In reply to: Network Security

Usually. Security on each computer? Let me ask you this. Ever heard of anyone clicking on a web site and that web site being infected? Ever hear of cookies and key-loggers? Ever hear of Trojans and malware? Each machine must have security as in an AV program at the least. Just last week the CNet forums were infected from an ad. Look here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7598_102-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=300898&messageID=2810032&tag=forums06;forum-threads

These problems I mention can ride the page you are looking at. One AV program on a "main" computer will NOT protect the other computers on your LAN.

A while back PCWorld did a study. It stated that a few years ago your PC could be infected in fifteen minutes of surfing. Today it's fifteen seconds.

And don't get me started on what you can catch from email.

Wayne (IBM freak - 6)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.