Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

network repair problem

When I go to the control panel --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection and right-click to Repair connection, I get an error saying that it is not able to register with DNS.

I remember that I've done it before, but it was a while back. I didn't give me any problems then. Any suggestions as to why it is giving me this error and how to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: network repair problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: network repair problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
power down, power up

In reply to: network repair problem

1. turn off computer
2. recycle power on broadband modem (if you have one) and router.
3. turn on computer.

Collapse -
that's not it

In reply to: power down, power up

If you mean unplugging my modem, to reset the power, with the computer off for 10 secs. or so and plugging it back in and turning my computer on again, that doesn't work.

I have access to the internet, but for some reason, the Repair function tells me it is not able to register with the DNS.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for replying.

Collapse -
network repair unable to repair

In reply to: that's not it

I had the same problem today. But i finally resolved it by shutting off the wan net adapter disable it. but alsobear in mind that i am working with a laptop that also has an wireless card... the network adapter for cable network was not plugged in. but the wan adapter was still active

Collapse -
main idea

In reply to: power down, power up

Main idea was to try restarting the ROUTER. Restarting the computer was to make sure the computer's IP address was reassigned. You are right--restarting the modem was not necessary. It is just a habit of mine when restarting a router. Sorry about that.

Collapse -
my experience

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the cause of your problem, but I did have similar symptoms to what you are now experiencing.

I had a problem once when Windows Update installed a driver for a network adapter. Windows Update said the new driver was from Broadcom, but my adapter was Linksys brand. I knew that Linksys used Broadcom chips in much of their hardware, so I didn?t think much of it. It didn't work. I had to go to Linksys.com in order to get a good driver.

Whenever I don't consciously do anything to cause a network problem, this usually solves it:
1. Update network adapter drivers
2. Update router firmware
3. Restart router

Hope you find a swift resolution!

Collapse -
I might use ipconfig/release and renew....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.