HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

network printing

by py52126 / July 17, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

Hi,

I need help setting up a network printer, so here's the layout. I have a pc (xp pro sp2) with a printer connected to it, I also have a macbook pro (wireless internet connection) that I use around the house. On the pc I share the printer and give it a name like officeprinter, when I finish my work on the macbook I try and print to that printer, but it fails to print. I was wondering if anyone could walk me though this, so that i can see the step i missed. Any kind of help would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: network printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: network printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
network printer
by Sovereign Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: network printing

A network printer plugs directly into the network via ethernet. and doesn't need to be connected to the PC. The network printer will have an IP address and you can add it to any PC or MAC by searching for network printers.

Based on your description, it doesn't sound like a network printer but a regular printer that is shared on the PC. If that's the case, the next step would be to see if you have any firewalls running? Can you see any shared folders and access file over the network?

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Network Printing
by py52126 / July 17, 2008 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: network printer

Yes. You are exactly correct. Sorry about the confusion. It is just a shared printer and I can access shared folders just fine, I just cannot used the shared printer.

Collapse -
If the other wasn't a mac
by Steven Haninger / July 18, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Printing

I could probably be of more help but shared printers require proper drivers on all that use it. There is also sometimes an issue as to which one does the spooling. Mixed Windows OSs can be made to share a printer but the drivers will differ from one operating system to another. So, you can't expect a Windows XP system to be able to handle incoming printer data from a mac. You could probably get a true network printer that was compatible with various operating systems because the print data goes to it more directly.

Collapse -
In addition
by PudgyOne / July 18, 2008 9:01 AM PDT

you never stated what make and model the printer was.

Rick

Collapse -
printer
by py52126 / July 19, 2008 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: In addition

Its a canon pixma ip6700d.

Collapse -
Did you
by PudgyOne / July 19, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: printer

try the instructions from here?

Rick

Collapse -
USB-sharing?
by Kees Bakker / July 19, 2008 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Printing

Buy a simple USB-switch (like on http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sharing.html) and use it to connect the printer to both PC's. Of course, this only is feasible if the PC and the Mac are relatively close to each other.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.