Windows Vista forum

General discussion

network printer problems

by FpLiOnYkD / July 31, 2007 12:53 PM PDT

I am unable to print from a Vista basic machine. Here's my setup.
Computer 1: Running XP (that's the machine the printer is hooked up to.) Computer 2 running Vista premium I am able to print from this computer. Computer 3; Vista basic. This is my problem machine. I was able to get computer 2 to access the printer by "adding a local printer and assigning a port name. Worked just fine. Now I tried this on computer 3 and it did not work. It went through the process of adding a printer, but it would not print. I deleted the printer to try it again and this is when my troubles began. When I try to install a local printer, it says that port already exists. But the printer is deleted. I don't know how to work around this. I assume I need to delete the port, but I don't know how. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: network printer problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: network printer problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add a network printer
by bowacl / August 3, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

Have you tried to install the printer as a network one? It would seem that on some Vista installs you have to set it up as a local printer even tho it really is a network printer.

The reason why you would get already is a port is because even tho you delete the printer that was using this port the port would remain by default.

My steps for doing a local port were done by going to Control Panel, Printers, Add a Printer then Add a Local Printer, Click Create a new port, leave the default local port, Click Next, a box will come up type in the actual address of the network printer, \\computername\printername - next will ask to install drivers, leave it shared and print a test page.

Northlite

Collapse -
Thanks
by FpLiOnYkD / August 3, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Add a network printer

Problem solved. I did a system restore. I restored the computer to the previous day. Then I was able to install the printer as a local printer. It was strange though. I had to use the "add new hardware" option to install the printer because that was the only place my printer showed upin the list. It would not show up, by going to the Control panel, then choosing printers. Go figure, Anyway, thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?