TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Network Media Streamer

Hi,

I am looking to stream both audio and video from my Windows XP computer to my television. I do not need anything too fancy. I do not have an HD TV yet, and most of the video on my computer is lower quality videos downloaded from legit media services.

I also have a very large 70+gig music library. I want to be able to watch these videos on my TV and also play my music library. I have done a lot of research, but there is so much out there that I don't know where to start.

Ideally, I would like to spend under $250. I have a pretty average TV with S-Video, but I would like something that could hook up to a better HD TV when I get one. I have very fast internet and I don't need the Media Box to be wireless, but it could be.

Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Jake

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Media Streamer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Media Streamer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll disregard the dollar point and note the current items.

In reply to: Network Media Streamer

The 2 solutions I'd look at is the XBox 360 and it's solution but I'd hold off that and go get a look at Apple's iTV.

Bob

Collapse -
looking for something that playes more video formats

In reply to: I'll disregard the dollar point and note the current items.

I greatly appreciate the reply, but I already own an Xbox 360, and the reason why I don't wish to use this for my media server is that it is limited to WMV video files, unless you want to transcode everything.

iTV will be limited in the same way, it will only play videos that iTunes can play. I should have said in my post that I am looking for something that will play all sorts of video formats (divx, avi, mpeg, etc). Thanks again.

Collapse -
That's a PC.

In reply to: looking for something that playes more video formats

Let me be blunt here. I've tried more than a few of these boxes and none will play everything you throw at them. You are free to repeat that lesson.

The iTV is something new and you may be surprised at what it does. Let's hold off dis'ing it until we see how it fairs.

Bob

Collapse -
Home thearter PC, but will cost over $250.

In reply to: That's a PC.

I have PC sitting by my HDTV and hooked to my network and the HDTV with DVI. It has Quicktime player, Dvix and Real Player as well as WMP10, so I can play all most any file. Works great but cost more than $250.
I agree with Bob, wait awhile and see what Apples iTV can do. john

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.