Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Network Magic

by matthewmanning / April 12, 2008 7:08 AM PDT

Hi , I am new to Mac. I bought a used eMac machine from a friend. I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.10. I basically unhooked my old PC from the router and the Cable Modem, hooked up the mac and never had to do a thing. I tried to install the disk that came with my router and it has network magic on it, but I can't figure out how to read the disk. I want to put network magic on the mac incase the network goes down I can fix it like I used to have to do every now and again, also it has a monitoring system to watch for invading neighbors. I need this on here so I can set up my network with this computer. I hope this makes sense and I'm in the right place.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Magic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Magic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I forgot
by matthewmanning / April 12, 2008 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Magic

Its a D-link router WBR-2310. It says on the disk sleeve for Mac users to use the documentation on the CD located in the bin/docs/ folder.

Collapse -
Configuring the router
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

Usually a router is configured by going to the built in configuration page of the browser.

This is accessed by launching Safari, or your browser of choice, and entering the following URL.
192.168.0.1 (This address is in the D-Link manual)

The default username is admin and the password box should be left blank.

Network Magic is a piece of Windows software that will not run on a Mac but there is a Mac add-on which you can purchase. See Here for details

You may want to ask if it includes all the tools available in the Windows version before you purchase it.

P

Collapse -
nevermind
by matthewmanning / April 13, 2008 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Configuring the router

I have internet connection and all 4 of my computers are running, but I don't have the router or network installed on any one of these computers. Furthermore, I tried to install it on my laptop and it can't find the internet connection? I have internet though. It makes 0 sense to me. I am totally lost here, this was so easy when I got the thing 2 years ago, now if the mac would just auto run the disk and let me install it , maybe I could get somewhere.
Thanks,
MM

Collapse -
Let's try again
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: nevermind

you have 4 computers connected to a router?

If so, then this is a NETWORK.

You do not install a ROUTER on any computer, it is a physical box.

Your version of Network Magic will NOT run AT ALL on your Mac. It is for WINDOWS only.

There is a Mac version of Network Magic. You did read that link that I sent you?

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

BTW, duplicate posts in the forums do not help. I am deleting the other post, again.

P

Collapse -
I see
by matthewmanning / April 13, 2008 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Configuring the router

I already have the router running. If I go type this into my browser which is safari, what am I going to gain? I already have it running and I'm on the internet. I just don't understand!
MM

Collapse -
On the CD
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I see

Mount the CD on the Mac
double click it
navigate to the bin folder
double click it
double click on the docs folder
read the docs.

You do not use any special software to open a folder(directory). Not on a Mac and not on a WIndows machine.

P

Collapse -
OK
by matthewmanning / April 13, 2008 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: On the CD

I navigated to all the folders and found the folders Doc which just the manual and doesn't help at all with connecting a mac. The other folder has stuff in it that I can't open , because It asks for a program to open it with and I can't find one that will open it? Now what. I still have all these machines working and don't have any control of it. How do I install the router on the mac and then install the network magic later. Shouldn't I be able to see the router on my computers somewhere and tell which is online and who tries to invade my network and etc?
Thanks,

MM

Collapse -
Ok, so what do I do?
by matthewmanning / April 13, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: On the CD

What do I do if I suddenly lose my internet and need to recycle the modem and the router? Network magic has a very simple fix button and I didn't have to do anything. It monitors intruders and also makes it easier to add computers to the network. How do I know I'm on a secure network? Network magic shows the IP addresses of intruders and you can watch them. Not that I've ever had one, but I'm a bit confused still what I do if theres a problem.
Thanks,
MM

Collapse -
Network Magic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, so what do I do?

OK, once more.
The ROUTER is NOT something that you can install. It is a physical piece of equipment into which you plug your modem and your computers.

If you have 4 Macs on your network you will NOT be able to run the version of Network Magic that you currently possess.
If you only have the one Mac on your network, then you can run Network Magic on any one of the other three, Windows, machines.

There is a Mac version which you will have to purchase if you feel the need to have it installed on the Mac. Nothing you do will get any of the software contained on the CD you have, running on your Mac. It is NOT compatible with OS X.

If there is a problem with your network, just run Network Magic on one of the Windows machines and if it is a router problem, it will attempt to fix it.
Recycling the modem and router is the work of a moment and takes all of 10ms to flip the switch or pull the plug.
If things are so bad that either need to be rebooted for lack of connectivity, then Network Magic is not going to be able to talk to either of them anyway.

So now that we have established that the CD you have is NOT going to work on the Mac, unless you buy the Mac version, what's next?

BTW, if you have the FREE copy of Network Magic, it stopped showing you intruders after the first 7 days of use.
Where do you think NM gets its information from regarding the intruders? Yep, that's right. The Router.

Set up the security correctly, already discussed, and you will not have intruders.

P

Collapse -
(NT) So did you sort it out?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 10:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
I guess.
by matthewmanning / April 14, 2008 9:29 PM PDT

I was off track with all this and now it seems pretty simple. I just don't know how to secure my network. I just don't want people intruding. Is it hard to set this up? Can other people still break through and use your internet?
Thanks,
MM

Collapse -
We have a sticky in the Networking forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: I guess.

It suggest you set up your router with WPA, leave SSID broadcasting for security and stability reasons. So far the only known good attack for WPA is a dictionary attack but if you didn't use something like PASSWORD for the password then you'll be good to go for now.

When we discover they've cracked this we'll update our advice.
Bob

Collapse -
With a wired network
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

the only way to "intrude" and use your network for internet access is to physically attach a cable to your network.

I suspect you would notice a stranger running ethernet cable around your house and using their computer in your living room.

Happy

P

Collapse -
Ok
by matthewmanning / April 15, 2008 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: With a wired network

your saying a wired network, don't I have a wireless network? I've got 2 laptops and the mac is running on the airport too.

Collapse -
As you have never mentioned what sort of network
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

you have, how would I know?

You "unhooked the PC and hooked up the Mac, and didn't have to do anything"

If your network is completely wireless, what was all the Hooking and Unhooking about?

This is the first time that you have mentioned an Airport Base Station, but based on your track record, I doubt you are using one of those and are using the Wireless router instead.

Just because you have a wireless router, does not automatically mean that your network is completely wireless. I have a wireless router and only 1 of my computers is using the wireless side. The remainder are using the wired side.
"2 laptops and the Mac is running on the airport too" would indicate that the 4th computer is connected with ethernet cable.

Only you can tell us what you have, so far you have not

P

Collapse -
Your Replies
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 9:59 PM PDT

Your last two posts have been deleted.

Profanity falls outside of the CNET TOS.

P

Collapse -
(NT) What a potty mouth you have!
by saywhatnow / April 15, 2008 9:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
I assume that you are referring to
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 16, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

the two, now deleted, posts by Mathewmanning.

I agree entirely.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!