Computer Help forum

Question

Network issue. Please help!

by Mkewi2009 / July 14, 2014 12:55 AM PDT

Hi everyone. We are on vacation at a rental house. My girlfriend attempted to connect to the wireless connection. Instead of doing that, she somehow created a whole new network. Now, the existing network is gone. Her network is showing up but we can't connect because the password is wrong.

Can anyone help!? Ideally please let me know how to delete her newly created network and create a new one. I have the network name and password for the condo'a original connection. So I figured if someone can tell me how to erase her new network I could create another one with the original information.

We have a windows 7 PC and the router is a net gear g54.

Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network issue. Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network issue. Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You said you are at a vacation rental?
by Steven Haninger / July 14, 2014 3:11 AM PDT

In that case, Windows 7 would see it was no longer viewing its previous network but a new one. It usually asks if it's a home or work network. Windows "creates" the new network identity. If it's wireless and broadcasting the SSID, you should see it by that SSID an be able to plug in the correct password. It's possible that other wireless networks are also visible to the computer and you're seeing those as well. In any event, were you given the SSID of the network to use as well as the password. That's where you should try to connect. When you return to your previous location, Windows should remember it and all should be well. If you go to some other place and connect, Windows will create another network icon...and so on and so on. What are we missing here?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I f you can connect
by itsdigger / July 14, 2014 2:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Refresh the list of networks within range
by glb613 / July 14, 2014 3:59 AM PDT

Right click on the wireless icon down by the clock to bring up the menu.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.