Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network install???

I'm trying to restore my laptop using the original restore DVD's, but the DVD drive is broken. I tried booting from an external DVD drive, but it refuses to (even after changing setting in the BIOS). I'm left with the only option of somehow using another PC on my LAN for installing it over the network... but how would I do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network install???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network install???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doubtful.

In reply to: Network install???

I have seen installs of LINUX from USB memory sticks or USB cd/dvd drives but today, I don't see even the guru's loading from the network. Yes we'll do images and restores from a "Ghost" but not like you asked.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh yes...

In reply to: Network install???

Hi.

1. Yes you can do a network install of an operating system.

2. This is achieved by configuring one of the computers as a Server. This server holds the copy of the operating system that is to be installed on rest of the computers.

3. However, for installing Windows, you require Windows Server 2000,2003 or 2008 with or without Service Pack on the main computer that will provide the files to your Laptop.

3. You also need to inform me about the Operating System you need to install on the Laptop - Windows 2000, Windows Xp or Windows Vista.

The procedure can be split in three categories based on the differences in server operating systems.

1. Windows Server 2000 or Windows Server 2003 without service pack. This supports network installation of Windows 2000 and Windows Xp on clients.

2. Windows Server 2003 with Service pack 2. This supports network installation of Windows 2000, Windows Xp and Windows Vista ( I need to check the Vista installation part on this)

3. Windows Server 2008. This supports installation of Windows 2000, Windows Xp and Windows Vista.

Subsequently I require the information from you with regards to the Server Operating System you will use for installation. Either 1,2 or 3 as in the previous paragraph.

Windows Server 2008 requires additional software to supplement the process, so the easiest to configure is Windows Server 2000 or 2003 without service pack.

I would also need to know the make and model number of the wired network card on your Laptop.

After you provide me the above information I will be able to guide you with a step by step procedure to initiate a network based install for your Laptop or any other networked computer.

Take care.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.