Network help - new build home UK

Hi all.

Just moved in to a new home in the UK, the developers fitted some Ethernet cables from my office to under the stairs. I want to herd wire the PC to the router.

The router and cable TV box (with virgin TV) are off the same cable in the living room.

Can I convert the phone line that runs from the living room to under the stairs, in to an Ethernet cable? I don’t want to sacrifice speed or capability here.

Discussion is locked

Reply to: Network help - new build home UK
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Network help - new build home UK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Only if

Only if that phone line happens to be CAT 5 or better cabling. Most phone lines are rated far less than that so the answer is no.

- Collapse -
PS. Best answer I've read to date.
- Collapse -
Re: new home

Just a tip: when building a home, discuss your requirements with the architect, so that it can be fitted in according to your needs.

- Collapse -
Confusing. Need better explanation.

Where's the router and TV? What phone lines? Are they extra to the ethernet cables routed under stairs? Where is office, living room in relation to all this?

CNET Forums

Forum Info