Computer Help forum

General discussion

Network Headaches

by feliciadm / March 14, 2007 2:04 AM PDT

Not sure where to post this question so starting here first. I have a Dell p4 desktop computer running xp and recently upgraded to IE7. I have Cable Internet connection and also have the Linksis WRT54GS Wireless-G Router. For about a week, I have been experiencing internet connection problems. I can connect and be working when BAM I get dropped. I also have a laptop with wireless connection. I've called my cable company, and after going through their reset procedure, I get connected again. Basically, it's to unplug the cable box and router and wait for a minute and plug everything back in. Unfortunately, I just don't think I have to go through this procedure a few times a day so that I can use the internet. I know this is very vague information, but this is driving me nuts. Also, I recently replaced my cable modem box. Does it sound like I need a new router? This router I have isn't even 1 year old. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Headaches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Headaches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Is the router firmware the latest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Network Headaches
Collapse -
Re: Network Headaches
by feliciadm / March 14, 2007 10:38 AM PDT

Yes, downloaded their latest firmware just last week when I first started having this problem. Seems to have gotten worse since.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Network Headaches

Did you enable SSID broadcast?

There is some Dell issue with Intel's wifi manager. Tell which you use.

Did you do a site survey and pick a channel no one else is using?

Bob

Collapse -
check for wireless phone interference
by glennlee / March 14, 2007 2:31 AM PDT

Have you checked to see if you are having wireless phone interference? Most of them run on the same frequency band that wireless routers share. Most wireless phones allow you to select from at least 10 channels, and choosing another band for your phone may solve your problem.

Collapse -
Could be the router
by jackson dougless / March 14, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

That particular router is infamous for having a "bug" in the firmware that can cause this. Without getting into a lot of details, for some insane reason, the router tries to keep track of every single connection you make on the Internet for like 4 weeks. The router only has about 8MB of internal RAM, maybe less if you have a newer model, so as you can imagine, it will run out of space really quick.

The nice thing about that router, is there are several custom firmwares you can use. My favorite being the Tomato firmware. Stupid name, excellent firmware. It has a more sensible period of time for that setting, and it's adjustable as well. Drawback is, you'll void your warranty by using this firmware, there's no official support, and I'm not sure if it works on some of the latest hardware revisions.

If you don't want to use a custom firmware, the only real option is rebooting it a few times a day to manually flush the logs that are eating up all the free memory. Unless you know someone with an EE degree who could graft a serial port onto it, and you don't mind learning a little bit about Unix commands.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.