Question

Network Drive Support

I have a LaCie Network Space Max 2TB NAS connected to my home network. All was working fine recently with it.

I just purchased a new laptop (HP Elitebook 8570w) and I am unable to connect this laptop to that network drive. LaCie requires a application "LaCie Network Assistant" to help detect the drive. This software tells you the IP address and other info about the drive. I have another home PC and my old laptop on the same network and these all connect to the drive properly. I installed the LaCie network assistant on the new laptop and I can physically see the drive in the LaCie network assistant. I also can type the IP address in a new browser window and log into the drive. I see the drive listed as a computer in my network. All of these are good signs. However as soon as I try to access the drive while looking in the network explorer window I get a error saying that this computer cannot be accessed.

The question here is that it doesn't appear it is actually a issue with the drive as other machines can access it. Is there something in windows or the network that is keeping me from being able to access this on my new machine. Is it possible there is some additional update, driver, software I need to install to connect to this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Network Drive Support
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Network Drive Support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
There error message is typical when

That error message is typical when

a. You don't have an account on the server or device that shares the folder and files.
b. A firewall blocked it.
c. When you connected to the WiFi you didn't select "Home" network.
d. Some other antivirus suite is blocking this (just to be safe?)

Be sure to check LaCie's web site for an update of their helper apps.
Bob

- Collapse -
follow up

a) I have a account and am logged in. It shows me as being logged in.
b) I turned off the firewall on my computer temporarily to try and test this, still no luck.
c) I was on a LAN connection
d) I just remembered I forgot to turn off my windows security essentials. Will try that tonight.

I've been looking on LaCie's site but they don't seem to have any info regarding my particular problem

Thanks,
Matt

- Collapse -
a) can't be right.

Because you would never "log in" to the LaCie. You did log into Windows but that account on Windows does not mean you have a good account on the devices or other PCs.

Your particular problem is nothing new. It reads like the same old problem.
Bob

- Collapse -
follow up

I used the webinterface for the NAS to log into it. Type in it's IP address go to a login in screen and logged in as the admin. I can see info about the drive, but with LaCie, I cannot really access files this way. There is a round about way to see the files, but not as a standard drive.

I do not understand what you mean beyond that. I understand that this problem may be nothing new, but it is still unsolved for me. Just looking for someone with knowledge that might be able to help.

Matt

- Collapse -
And again,

The web login is not the same as the login/account we attach to shares with. It's still the same old confuser it seems.

You logged into Windows with some account name and many folk leave the password as blank. To connect to a network share, we need a matching account on other machines or devices. This seems to confound those new to this but I find you repeat it over and over till they get it sorted out.

If you would supply a link to the drive's manual I'll check if there is a page about network shares.

And again, there are dozens of reasons for this not to work. Accounts are just one thing and a very basic item of Windows networking.

Example at http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/43512-enter-network-password.html

Folk seem to struggle the first time a lot.
Bob

- Collapse -
follow up
- Collapse -
And you see "Dashboard - Users"

And this is a good example where your name and password on your PC may matter.

Did you create a matching account to connect to that share on the NAS?

This is beginning to sound as if I will be walking you through the product manual. I can't do that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Are you

in a workgroup or domain?

The HP Elitebook most likely has W7Pro and you would have to select workgroup login if all your other PCs and the NAS is in a workgroup.

- Collapse -
Workgroup

I am currently setup as a workgroup. This is a personal NAS and all the other computers are connected to the NAS and working are workgroup computers.

Thanks
Matt

- Collapse -
Then

when you log into Windows 7, make sure you use the same workgroup name as the other computers and use a username that is set up in the NAS.

- Collapse -
Part of the problem

I think that was part of the issue. My other computer that was connected and working fine with it was on a different workgroup. I put both machines on the same workgroup and put a router to connect the two machines and the NAS and was able to see it.

Thanks for that part.

I have had a account on the NAS that matches my windows login, more often then not though I am logging in via the admin account.

I noticed though that I cannot log into the same account on multiple computers. Does this sound correct? I was hoping to be able to dump files from one machine onto a common directory that I can access from another machine that is still password protected.

The other interesting pat in expanding on the info above is that when I connected everything with a small router without connecting to the internet, everything worked. Now today I brought the drive to work to play with this a little more. I took the hardwired connection at my desk and connected it to a small 8 port switch. Then I connected my new machine, my old machine, and the NAS to the switch. I can see the drive in the LaCie Network Assistant, but not when just viewing my network. I cannot actually connect/login to the drive via either the network explorer or the lacie network assistant.

Thanks again for the help. Sorry if this seems simple, but it is driving me nuts.

- Collapse -
Sounds right.

If Joe is logged on from one machine, Joe can't be on another machine.

This is an old system of networking and the concepts of security meant that users never were allowed to log in more than once.

As time has passed and you see folk with more than one PC or device, some network systems have relented and allowed this, but not all.
Bob

- Collapse -
UPDATE

Really strange

I have a couple of coworkers that I asked to look on the network find the drive in the computer section of the Network. They double clicked on it and were able to see the directories without any issue.

For some reason only my new machine cannot do that. Incredibly frustrating.

I turned off firewalls, made sure I have file sharing on, turned off security items.

I am really clueless at this point

Matt

- Collapse -
Turning off firewalls?

More than ONE? That's not good.

Also, an old zonealarm was caught red handed, blocking content even when turned off. I found I had to uninstall that one to turn it off.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's hard

to help you with the limited info provided. Now you say you have taken them to work and hooked them up and your coworkers can access the NAS but not your Elitebook. Again this is likely to be a login issue caused by user account (domain at work?) and username. But it's impossible for me to guess what the is the network login type and how the other people's machines are set up to log into the network.

Your best recourse may be to get help from your IT, ie. if they are not freaked out by your introducing personal devices into the enterprise network! Get someone on site who understands login issues to help you diagnose and fix it.

- Collapse -
That user manual ...

you linked to should provide just what you need

" To access a User Share, enter the User's name and Password created in the Dashboard administration tool (Dashboard - Users). Click OK. "

That little tidbit is on this page about accessing files on the drive:
http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/ns2-nsmax/access1

(Hint, reading the page indicates that you need to set up the user account as Bob has been telling you, and the user needs to MOUNT the drive)

CNET Forums