Without torrent-based software, of course. Just plain old Windows. Internet disconnected. Then start accessing the network shared folders until you reach a limit or get this error.
I'm completely desparate. I'm experienced IT administrator but for several months I'm unable to find a reason for network connectivity failures on PC's with high netowrk traffic, running Windows (Vista, XP). Here's what happens:
- while doing excesive network operations (creating many connection threads) the connectivity dies - nothing works: no ping, DHCP requests without response, DNS requests without response, etc.
- ipconfig /release /renew doesn't help
- disable/enable network interface doesn't help
- plug out/in the network cable for several minutes doesn't help
- only thing that helps is complete windows reboot
-> I have observed this behavior for example when listing a network shared folder with thousands of files (net failes during listing), or when copying many small files over network (again, windows network sharing)
-> problem also observed when seeding torrents
-> problem also occures while downloading a torrent with good speed (2 mB/s, 20 mbit/s) from several peers
The thing that bothers me most is that I have completely eliminated most obvious possible causes (failing network interface, failing router, ISP blocking excesive traffic, operating system/drivers problem):
- same thing happens when connected to three different ISP's (at work, at home, at parents home)
- same thing happens on two different PC's (one running Win XP Pro SP2, second one running Vista64)
Does ANYBODY have an idea what's wrong? This problem is relatively fresh, I didn't encounter it like 6 months ago, and I didn't change the way I'm using my computers at all - always running the same apps for several years, I've been always making the same occasional high-load network operations. Systems are being updated regularly of course.
Eventlog seems clean - no network related errors reported prior to failure, after failure there are errors reported only by few components and only during the time I'm trying to get the connectivity up without restarting windows.
Somebody please help me dig into this problem!