Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Network connections to a Mac - not seeing shared folders

by ptrautwein / July 5, 2010 4:10 AM PDT

I've been using Macs for years, and was just given a cute little HP Mini by a generous relative. Works great. Connects nicely to my wireless network and internet connection. Windows XP is clunkier than the Mac OS, but it's working.

The problem is trying to connect it to my Mac Network for file sharing.

I think I've set up the file sharing correctly. I had some help from a tech at work. He had me share the entire C Drive and I have a little hand cupped under the Hard Disk Drive. I have both "Share this folder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files" checked and He says that should give me full access to all the files on the computer when I connect to it with my Mac(s).

When I do connect - and connect via the admin username and password - I can see several folders. When I go to "Documents and Settings" I can see the folder with the admin name, but when I open it it's empty. (When I follow the same path on the PC it has a "My Documents" folder and then "my pics," "my music" etc. - the files I want to reach.)

I'm not getting any errors. Just an empty window.

When I connect via my Mac I use the Mac "Go to Server" menu and connect using smb://[computer name].

It asks me to log in as a registered user or guest - I use registered user and enter the username and password. (it does not ask for a work group)

And connects without any problems, except that I don't see any of the files. I'm stumped. Is this a Mac issue or a PC issue? Do I need to set more permissions? I'm not very familiar with the Windows operating system so any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network connections to a Mac - not seeing shared folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network connections to a Mac - not seeing shared folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open Sharing preferences
by askwithnerro / July 5, 2010 2:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Still not working
by ptrautwein / July 6, 2010 12:43 PM PDT

I'm not sure I explained my problem well enough.

My Mac(s) are seeing the PC just fine. Connecting to the computer is not the problem, it's seeing the files *on* the PC that's not working.

But here are a few comments based on your instructions.

I was able to do the 1, 2, 3 listed in your post - and scrolled down to the "Joining a Microsoft Windows workgroup" section of the Mac 101: File sharing page. I went through the steps and none of the changes held past the initial "OK." (strange? unexpected? I'm not sure what to make of that...) My PC was listed in the "Sharing" list on my side navigation but I'm not sure if that was from my previous connection via the "Go" menu and "Connect to Server" choices. I tried rebooting both computers and went through the steps again, but I still had to connect via the "Go" menu and "Connect to Server" menu item.

The second link about setting up the network connections I'm not sure applies. I have no problem connecting to the internet on any the computers even the PC. Unless my set up is preventing the sharing of files, I'm not sure what I should be doing there.

Thanks for the response. Any other thoughts?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.