Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network connection using powerline ethernet adapter and Sony

I am trying to connect a sony blu-ray player to the internet using a powerline adapter but the BR player does not connect. I currently have two Satellite DVR receivers using the same powerlines and they work fine, but the Sony player does not connect to the network. I have to try a wired connection because my wireless signal to the player has trouble with netflix and other download services. Connection gets lost.

Any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network connection using powerline ethernet adapter and Sony
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network connection using powerline ethernet adapter and Sony
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Indicating Lights?

In reply to: Network connection using powerline ethernet adapter and Sony

What is the make/model of the adapters? Most powerline adapters have lights indicating 1)connection to other adapters and 2)configuraton to LAN. This will give you a valuable clue to where the problem lies.

The Sony BD player may need to be configured for a wired connection as well.

Do you see any error messages when attempting to connect?

Collapse -
Pluglink 9650

In reply to: Indicating Lights?

Pluglink is the adapter. I get a green light for power and a greenlight for connection, the activity light blinks, so it looks like the line is working, but the Sony can't connect. I used auto connection on Sony and then tried to manually add the information.
I am not sure of all of the information required.

Collapse -
Connectivity

In reply to: Pluglink 9650

It seems that the Pluglinks are communicating, but to be sure I would recommend plugging in a laptop at that location to see if you are getting connectivity back to the router. If you have connectivity, then you can focus on the BD player.

Also, HomePlug adapters don't work well (or at all) when plugged in to power strips, so be sure it is plugged directly into the wall outlet.

Collapse -
Network connection using powerline ethernet adapters

Fyi..connecting blu-ray player using powerline adapters is quite tough if your powerline are noisey, because several people have tried but not successful may be with some lagging and buffering. Let alone transfer a Full HD that required lesser band width around 25Mpbs or more. Blu-Ray will surely need a bigger transfer rate that Full HD (1080p) via powerline adapters. I am also looking for such a effective and efficient HomePlug powerline to do the streaming of blu-ray in my place. I am considerering looking into WD livewire cos, it was rated the best so far, compared to the other higher rating PLCs adapters.

Collapse -
Might this gadget be the ultimate solutions for PLC adapter?

I stumbled upon this video on YouTube and it seem like this guy/company may have the answers for most plc adapters inherent problems. Check him out at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOT7AD310I It would be a great news for all plc adapters fans out there, including myself.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.