Sorry everyone, before I posted here, I should have checked the sites for some of the software. I'm not sure that the problem is going to be solved by this, but went to check the forums at AVG and found a post where someone was having a problem like this, right after their AVG did it's latest update. Seems that you have to allow certain AVG exe's full permission in your firewall (mine is Zone Alarm) or it can cause the problem. So, I allowed permission to the ones on the list pointed to in that post, and I'm going to see if it solves the problem. If it doesn't, I'll re-post to this thread or start a new one, as that is the only possibility I can see it being right now. Again, sorry for posting before I checked around on some other forums. In case anyone is having this problem the link to the forum post on AVG is:
Dell Inspiron 1420 notebook computer
Intel Core2 Duo T5550 1.83 Ghz processor
3 GB RAM
Network Adapter: Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet
Here is the problem I am having. Within the last week or so, I have started having problems with my Internet connection dropping a while after I bring up my browser or whatever. I am surfing along and bam, all the sudden the connection is gone. I know that it isn't the router or anything else because the other computers in the home are still connected and able to visit websites. If I reboot the system, then I get the connection back, but after a while, I lose it again.
In this period of time since it began happening, here are the only changes I can think of were done. I installed a card game, which was asking to register, which I didn't do. I installed a number of Vista updates. And AVG anti-virus updated to a new version, and the new version installed a couple of new add-on's to Firefox. And I upgraded to the newest version of Firefox. But this problem also happens with Internet Explorer, and my Google Desktop apps also stop working. Anything using an internet connection stop's working, so I don't think it is a Firefox problem or anything like that.
Thinking that one of these things might have been the problem, I did the following:
Uninstalled the game
Did a system restore to back before this problem started happening
Re-installed the Windows Updates
Disabled the AVG add-on's in Firefox
When I lose the connection, I try repairing it. Sometimes I get a message that if I reset the connection it will fix the problem, and sometimes when I click on the button or whatever, this does fix it, most of the time this doesn't fix it. At other times I get a message that diagnostics has run into a problem that Windows can't fix, and I should restart the system to see if that fixes it. When I restart the system, it does fix the problem - I don't do a restart, I shut it down and then start up again.