Computer Help forum

General discussion

Network connection and IP address

by New_guy / October 29, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

I hope this is the correct forum to discuss this matter, so here goes.

Last night I suddenly couldn't access any web pages but my cable modem was indicating a connection was there. I went into Network Connections in Control Panel on XP and disabled the Local Area Connection and then re-enabled it with the belief that this might correct the problem. It did correct it, however I now have a new IP address. Is this sort of thing normal? I thought that broadband connections always maintained a static IP address. I verified through that the new IP is indeed one that is assigned through my ISP but I'm just wondering why it did change.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network connection and IP address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network connection and IP address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IP address
by The Fly / October 29, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

can change even though it is mostly static. When I find I cannot access the web or e-mail, I unplug my router and it then recognizes the new IP address. If you do not have a router and access directly though a modem, you can also unplug the modem for about 1 minute and when replugged in will recognize the new IP. Sometimes I have to unplug both my router and modem to get back connected.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This is true..
by jackintucson / October 29, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: IP address
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?