Nevermind it's working now! After I was done typing my question on the other computer, I went back to my computer and the light on the wireless adapter was flashing. I opened Firefox and the internet is working fine now! I have no idea what happened, I did nothing to fix it.
Suddenly I cannot get my wireless USB adapter to connect to the wireless router. I just rebooted the router and reinstalled the adapter, and it flashed for a second and appeared to be briefly connected, but then it said "network cable unplugged" and lost the connection. Here is my setup:
- Wired internet connection running to D-Link wireless router with a desktop wired to it (no issues here, internet working on wired PC)
- My desktop was connected using a D-Link wireless USB adapter, G strength signal, and it is about 40 feet away (signal was strong enough before, distance hasn't changed)
- My desktop is running Windows 2000
Here are some possible issues that may have caused this to happen, and some steps I have done:
- Several spyware programs have infiltrated my PC (although the wireless connection was still working fine after that)
- I disabled my USB adapter and then enabled it again (actually several times after the problem arose). It seems like I started having problems after this, even when I enabled it again.
- I also have an ethernet adapter on the motherboard. This along with my wireless USB adapter are the only 2 network adapters I have. Both say that the "network cable is unplugged". I removed and reinstalled both but that did't work.
- I know that the computer is still detecting the wireless USB adapter. First, if I unplug it, I get the window about a device being unplugged. Also connecting it to the USB port in the front directly without the dock did nothing different. Secondly, when I reinstalled and restarted everything, it briefly connected to the router for a second.
- I've tried rebooting the wireless router, my computer, deleting and reinstalling the network adapers, and I still have that problem.
I hope this is enough info for someone to help me solve this problem. I feel like it is something minor that I am overlooking. Keep in mind that everything was working fine with this setup, so any suggestions to upgrade to a stronger signal or upgrade Windows 2000 are not necessary. I just want to know what I can do to make it work again like it was before. Thanks!