Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Network Cable Unplugged

I have wireless on my laptop. It was working fine for a few weeks and then I get this notice of "network cable unplugged". My laptop is Dell and so is my wireless card. I don't know what information you may need from me to help me out, I am new to this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Cable Unplugged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Cable Unplugged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Who. . .

In reply to: Network Cable Unplugged

built this "wireless" system, you? Wireless to what? Router, another PC? Company LAN? Wi-Fi at Starbucks?

Network cable refers to a hardwired Ethernet plug/cable somewhere. Have you checked any and all "cable" connections?

Collapse -
network cable

In reply to: Who. . .

I have checked all connections and I am using a Linksys router, my wireless card is a Dell.

Collapse -
Does the wireless work?

Are you talking about the popup notification for the icon located by the clock?

Collapse -
network cable

In reply to: Does the wireless work?

Yes I am talking about the popup, but the wireless connection does not work. I am still getting a good signal indication but when I try to connect to the internet, I get the connection failed message.

Collapse -
Have you tried doing a repair?

In reply to: network cable

Right click on the connection icon and select repair and see if it fixes the problem. I've also turned off the wireless connection on the notebook then back on again. Have you ever turned off the modem or router then back on again?

I find my wireless connection can be a bit finicky at times. While not often, I will have dropped connections occasionally. I've done a combination of the above and it resolves the problem.

Collapse -
Network Cable

In reply to: Have you tried doing a repair?

I tried to do the repair, but the option is not available. I also disabled and enabled the wireless and it still isn't working.

Collapse -
'network cable' msg after applying microsoft updates.

In reply to: Network Cable

I have the same problem, started about the same date as first post in this discussion. After a year of flawless connectivity, I applied some microsoft updates to my laptop and after the reboot I only get the 'network cable unplugged message'. I can't figure out how to undo it either.

Collapse -
Paytonn, More Information Please

In reply to: 'network cable' msg after applying microsoft updates.

Which operating system and which updates were installed?

If you've got Windows ME or XP, have you tried running System Restore to a time when things were right?

Hope this helps and let us know more..

Grif

Collapse -
Wireless network.

In reply to: Paytonn, More Information Please

Hi. I'm not sure that system restore will work for this as the server addresses keep changing all the time and it is unlikely that the address will be valid on the restore date. The suggestion that you try repair is a good one and I don't understand why you can't call up repair. Are you right clicking on the network icon in the clock area at the bottom of the desktop?
If rebooting the laptop does not renew the connection when you have connection between the laptop and the router that seeems to indicate that the problem lies between the base station and the router as rebooting would pick up any new server address pull the power connectors from the router and the modem. Leave for one minute and reconnect. Hope you get it fixed soon Stewart

Collapse -
More Info - sorry for lack of detail in original msg.

This is an older IBM laptop running 2k sp 4 (?). On further interrogation last night, I see that the network card's original software is reporting that the drivers are not installed (it'a PCMCIA card, obviously), and I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers to be sure, same with the software. The card itself has two little indicator lights, an amber and a green one - the amber was previously always lit when the laptop was on, and the green indicated traffic. neither lights light now. I don't think it is a coincidence that this happend after the updates. I'm not so network savvy, but I've had this working for over a year, and am baffled. :-\

Collapse -
paytonn network cable unplugged - win2ksp4...resolved

I finally realized the newere upgraded network card software has a bad uninstall script. finally resolved this issue by finding the original install disk for the nic, and using that I was able to uninstall and reinstall the card - it works fine now, although I have not a clue why it quit in the first place. Anyway, thanks for the help, and sorry to bother you all.

Collapse -
Have you tried unplugging

In reply to: Network Cable

either the router or cable modem then plugging them in again? The repair option is found by right clicking on the icon down by the clock or going to the control panel then network connections.

Collapse -
If you're computer is a Windows XP

I would try system restore.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.