Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

network cable problem

I am having problem with some of my network drops in my school network. Approximately 40 cable drops from the ceiling in classrooms have quit working all of a sudden. The other 60 or so seem to be working just fine. I can not seem to track down any other problem with the switches or the router. I have ran a network cable to an active drop which works just fine. I would not have a problem rerunning all of the cables except for the fact that I find it odd that several have gone out instead of just a few. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: network cable problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: network cable problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where and how do they terminate?

In reply to: network cable problem

Do they go to a patch panel and are they labeled so you can test them individually? Do you know if the ones gone bad might run through a common location? Perhaps over something that gets very hot? This might sound not to be possible but animals hiding in ceilings and other nooks and crannies of a building can damage wiring.

Collapse -
Network cable problem

In reply to: Where and how do they terminate?

I have looked in the ceiling and can not seem to find anything. The cables are away from the heating ducts. When you plug the cables into the computers they light up on the switch, but they will not ping anything and will not pick up an IP that is correct. Very frustrated at this point.

Collapse -
Are the dead cables all connected to the same switch?

In reply to: Network cable problem

If so, that could mean loss of connection to the router or that the switch has gone bad. You could try giving static addresses to a few PCs on the suspect cables and see if you can ping those addresses from other PCs. If that works, I'd be looking at the relay rack. If the switch is not of the auto-sensing type, perhaps the button for the uplink port has been tampered with.

Collapse -
Network cabling problem

In reply to: Are the dead cables all connected to the same switch?

I have tried assigning static IPs, but it still won't connect. I have almost come to the conclusion that the cables are not the problem. It seems to be one hallway that is out. However, some of the drops show to be sending and receiving traffic on the switch, they won't connect though. When I run the ipconfig on them, it gives them a 169 address. Won't ping the router, etc... I am wondering if we have something else going on. What do you think?

Collapse -
169 is the self assigned address.

In reply to: Network cabling problem

You do know what this means?

Collapse -
what?

In reply to: 169 is the self assigned address.

What are you thinking?

Collapse -
It's a default and non-working address

In reply to: what?

that's created internally. You won't get a 0.0.0.0. Basically it means no address has been assigned by yourself or as requested by the device.

Collapse -
So you have blinking lights

In reply to: Network cabling problem

Do you have everything labeled so you can trace wiring from a PC to the relay rack (presuming you use such)? Might this hallway have a switch located away from the main network closet area? If you unplug all the cables from the non working PCs, does each disconnect cause an LED to go out on a switch and is it the same switch? I do some volunteer work at a school and we did have a lightning strike that took out several ports in one switch leaving others unaffected. Any electrical "event" lately?

Collapse -
Electrical problem

In reply to: So you have blinking lights

The electrical issue is kind of what I have been thinking too. Yes, the patch panel is labeled and when you plug the computers in the lights light up, but no connectivity. We had power surges around the time this happened that blew transformers on our wireless tower. The question is, how do I determine if that is it?

Collapse -
Can you reach the router from one of the dead drops?

In reply to: Electrical problem

If you can patch directly into the router with some of the individual cables and you get an internet connection, I'm thinking the problem may be with the switch. It's possible some ports work and some don't. It may also take a close examination of the relay rack wiring. I've seen loops between switching components to reek havoc. As well, managed switches that allow ports to be turned on and off or locked to MAC addresses can be an issue. I've not dealt with anything that sophisticated so cannot offer much in that regard. If your network drops terminate at a patch panel, just run a cable right to a router LAN port and see if you can connect. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.