Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Network Backup Problems in XP

by faw / December 30, 2004 9:32 PM PST

Can anyone help with backing up over a wireless home network in XP?? I keep getting an error message saying that either the file name is invalid or the network path is not valid. From what I have read XP will allow backups to a network whereas it will not allow backups to cd's. I have double checked my path and filename but can not get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Backup Problems in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Backup Problems in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The path would have been good to share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2004 9:43 PM PST

Sometimes its as simple as a space in the machine's name.
But you didn't share.

In closing, many install firewalls yet do not understand what they do.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is the path
by faw / December 30, 2004 10:34 PM PST

\\dog\meverything.

Let me try turning off the firewall to see what happens.

Collapse -
Backup problems in XP
by faw / December 30, 2004 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Here is the path

I can backup successfully to "C" drive only. I need to re-image my C drive so I need to save my backup elsewhere.

Collapse -
C is likely a hard disk, what are the other drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Backup problems in XP

Be aware that MSBACKUP, NTBACKUP and Microsoft backup programs do not support CDRW, DVDRW or other drives well, if at all.

Not many clues exist in your posts, so this is all I can offer.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry for being so...clueless.
by faw / December 31, 2004 8:40 PM PST

I have two hard drives on my desktop computer. C and the second drive is split into two (G & F). I like to use G & F for backing up both my desktop and laptop. What I have just leaned is that I can backup to the "C" drive on the desktop from my laptop but the application will not allow me to backup to either of the other drives (G or F)and I don't know why. I have established this work-around but I would obviously rather go directly to G or F. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Collapse -
Look at the properties.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 10:18 PM PST

If they are marked "removable", or if permissions don't allow you to write there, then you have a possible cause.

Again, I don't know something. The NAME of the backup program. If it is what Microsoft supplied, it's very very old in computer years and does drive people nuts.

Bob

Collapse -
I Looked at the Properties
by faw / January 1, 2005 1:09 AM PST

I find nothing under properties for either the F or G drive that says anything about being removable or not being allowed to write there. I checked all tabs under properties and they are the same as the C drive property tabs.

The backup utility is what Microsoft provides with XP. Are you suggesting that I might consider purchasing another backup utility?? Any suggestions?

Collapse -
NTBACKUP is a very old program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 1:15 AM PST

Chock full of legacy issues. Even a command line PKZIP could outperform that old dog.

Your dialogue too many tries to reveal what application was in use. I know it's tough, but no one can troubleshoot this without the details.

Now that we know it's NTBACKUP and you are trying to write to a local IDE (?) hard disk, it's likely permissions. Today's average owner has but a slippery grasp on permissions. Also they may not know to look in the EVENT VIEWER to see why NTBACKUP failed.

Without more clues, you may have to buy your way out.

Bob

Collapse -
Never Used the Event Viewer
by faw / January 1, 2005 2:08 AM PST

Well, I've learned something here and I appreciate your responses. I need a little time to familiarize myself with the event viewer to see what I can learn. I do see several ERRORS where I tried to backup. What they mean at this point is unknown. Perhaps if I can digest those I will learn why I can't backup to the F and G drives.

Collapse -
Here's a site...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 3:10 AM PST
http://www.eventid.net has some writeups about many event id entries. Again, the lack of details hamper any direct answer to the issue. My bet is still permissions on the other drive.

Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.