HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

network 2 computers one is win xp home the other win xp pro

by er_paez47 / June 21, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

Here is the weird thing:
i have a D-LINK MODEL DL-624 router, connected to my dsl modem ok i have both computers connected to the router(BOTH are Dell) plus also a printer to the router , ok both computers connect to the internet no problem, both computers can print to the printer , ok i ran the network setup wizard in other to create a network enviroment where i can browse each computer c drive, of course i ran the network wizard in both computers, i also shared both computers c drive and i added users account from each computer into the other and so on with administration rights, ok the computer running win xp home can search for the win xp pro and i can see the hardrive of this computer and the share documents too but the win xp pro when i clicked on search computers from the start menu it shows me the othe computer name but when i double clicked to browse this computer " i got the message that i don't have permisions to access that computer and say see administrator, access denied", well i setup the network wizard on both, the sharing and security is Enable on both, I defined users from one computer to the other one on both, can you please advise me whatelse can i check for, to solve the problem of one computer don't access the other one ?
note: both computers have spk 2 and the workgroup is the same in fact is named MSHOME, both computers have different compute name too.
Thanks a lot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: network 2 computers one is win xp home the other win xp pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: network 2 computers one is win xp home the other win xp pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual is some firewall is enabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
SHould i try to disable firewall on the xp home computer
by er_paez47 / June 22, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

Ok so if i can see the computer running win xp pro then probably what i have to do is disable firewall on the xp home computer ? what do you think ?

Collapse -
Or set the firewall to allow sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

It's a typical omission. Just like you didn't name what firewall you are using, or if there is a firewall in your router.

Many forget such and don't supply details, so I'm left with no solid answers.

Bob

Collapse -
firewall to allow sharing
by er_paez47 / June 22, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

Ok,
I just forgot to mentioned that what i have is the "windows firewall" from windows xp it is ON(as recomemnded) by default, what should i do in order to disable the windows firewall for sharing, can you guide me here ? is this the info you needed or i still missing something here ?
Thanks

Collapse -
You have 3 possible firewalls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 12:49 AM PDT

1 in each machine, and 1 possible in the router. You can read how you set your Windows XP firewall in Control Panel, Security Center, Windows Firewall, the Exceptions tab.

Your choice here. And just a FYI. This is just the most common issue. It may not be your only issue.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you so much Bob
by er_paez47 / June 22, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.